Pollo Tropical - Good starting job | Glassdoor

"Good starting job"

Former Employee - Drive Through Cashier in Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Former Employee - Drive Through Cashier in Sunny Isles Beach, FL

I worked at Pollo Tropical part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since i had no previous work experience, i was lucky enough to get this in the first place.
I had 50% off on anything i bought, my co-workers were SUPER nice, and the managers were friendly. During the lunch/dinner rush when things would get stressful, the assistant manager was very nice and always helped me out.

Cons

I basically had to do 3 jobs for $7.67/h
I had to run around like a crazy chicken for 7 hours because i was on drive-through. I feel like i was in charge of too many things at once, though at the same time it was SUPER fun to run and slide on the floor with those work shoes haha. Even though this is the part that i hated the most, i feel like it taught me how to multitask and how to work under pressure.
I left because i wanted to focus on school; i wouldn't recommend this job to a full-time student.

Other Employee Reviews for Pollo Tropical

"As an employee, working at Pollo Tropical is a nightmare."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pollo Tropical part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros to working at Pollo Tropical include the fun coworkers and getting paid every Friday. There is also a generally happy customer attitude when they first walk in, if you're smiling when you greet them.

Cons

Working here sucks because you'll do more than your share of work if they see you work hard, so right off the bat there is little motivation to work hard and show a good work ethic. I was hired as a cashier, and now I'm a cashier, server, and dishwasher. There is very little effective communication. If you tell a manager you can't come in a certain day, all of the other managers (yes, there are several) will question you asking why you never came in. You sometimes get a 30 minute break, but only if the managers feel like you can without making them do much more work. There is also a large percent of mistakes in orders both in drive through and dine in, and little is done to fix these problems. There is also very little chance for a raise, even after working my butt off for about a year, and customers recommending me for a raise, I still get paid minimum wage, and I do too much to get paid so little.

2. "A decent job for a starter"

Current Employee - Drive-Through Cashier in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Drive-Through Cashier in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Pollo Tropical part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back staff
    Decent food
    50 % off for friends and family
    Hours
    Friendly and fair district manager
    2 week schedule notice

Cons

Pay- minimum wage
    Raises- minimal
    Stress- drive through can get very stressful quickly. If you stay at one of the front positions this is an easy job.

Advice to Management

Give more chances to people who want to move up.