PolyOne - Does solid compensation overcome high stress and low career options? Yes...for now! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PolyOne

"Does solid compensation overcome high stress and low career options? Yes...for now!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Avon Lake, OH
Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Avon Lake, OH

I have been working at PolyOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was initially attracted to PolyOne due to their competitive salary and bonus structure - sales bonuses are earned from individual results, unlike other companies where their bonuses are mostly determined by how well the overall company does. This company puts an especially high emphasis on the role of sales, and there are many opportunities for public recognition. While some of my colleagues have personality conflicts with the senior management running each division, I find that they are very straightforward in their comments. Sometimes it's hard to hear, but it's better than being lied to. If you blame them for wanting to make money, you've come to the wrong company.

Cons

I started off making about 20% more than a few of my colleagues who had been with the company a number of years and had much more experience than I in the plastics business. While I alone now benefit from this (I never shared my true salary with them!), it seems to me that PolyOne treats new people better than those who have been loyal for some time. I've also only seen a handful of times where someone internally got promoted out of an individual contributor role. The reality sees to be, if you're doing good at your job, you're too valuable to lose, and the company is better off hiring management from the outside. This is good for short term stability, but I know it ticks the current employees off.

The work-life balance is average to poor, but that's what's expected when you're focused on short term results. We continually change course, have weekly changes in strategic direction, but at the end of the day, we go after "everything" because nobody wants to say no and be blamed for missing their number. I set my own personal limits, like no emailing on Saturdays, because if you don't set your own boundaries, you'll go nuts. It's worked for the stock price, but I question if this madness is sustainable.

In all companies, there will be people who take credit when things go right, and blame others when the bottom falls out. Expect the same here. Luckily I had a good mentor when I started, and took the time to develop professional relationships with those known for that to minimize my exposure. So far, it's worked.

Advice to Management

Overhaul human resources - Do your best to avoid ticking off your workforce by promoting competent people who could be superstars with some coaching. Be clear on expectations, and reward people for their accomplishments. And stop cutting costs to make your numbers look better. Having to drive 7 hours because you didn't want to approve a $400 plane ticket - come on!

Other Employee Reviews for PolyOne

"Professional top sales environment"

Current Employee - Account
    Current Employee - Account

I have been working at PolyOne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training in sales, encourage team participation. Compensated fairly with good benefits. You were rewarded for work accomplished, but also penalized for missing targets. A great environment for former GE Plastic employees

Cons

Very competitive internal environment. There is high requirement on forecasting accuracy and detail reporting. Much of this work needed to be done on after hours time and cut into family life.

"If you need a job it's a paycheck"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at PolyOne (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall the pay is good

Cons

Culture is crazy, no one wants to do what's right based on ethics

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line employees