Polycom - Great place to work. | Glassdoor

"Great place to work."

Former Contractor - Revenue Assurance Representative in San Jose, CA
Former Contractor - Revenue Assurance Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Polycom as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, awesome people, room for growth.

Cons

Need a free cafeteria. More compensation for contract employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Polycom

"A company in a downward spiral"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Polycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Technology, people, products, good pay (bribe).

Cons

A management team who don't have a clue. Strategy changes every month. Need to decide what they want to be when they grow up. Keep throwing the words cloud and software about, but have no practical strategy around how to get to market. Andy Miller the CEO has an ego the size of the grand canyon, minus the intelligence. Add to that the CMO Kate Hutchison who doesn't even understand basic Marketing 101. A control freak who lacks leadership and wouldn't know the first thing about how to sell if it came and slapped her in the face. HR is a joke - making employees take PTO when it suits the bottom line. No culture building. Just tragic.

Advice to Management

Fire the senior management team. Go back to innovation, and producing products that companies want. Sort out the cloud strategy before its too late.

"This company is a train wreck"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time

Pros

Has a great name in the market although I don't know why. Still good people here but they are leaving like rats on a sinking ship

Cons

I’m going to echo a lot of the reviews that have been done but I think it’s important to fire for effect here and make sure the points get across.

Management at this company manages by fear:

I have seen a lot of my co-workers called in and let go without any warning because their manager stopped liking them or needed a scapegoat. The company is in a constant state of layoffs or “limited restructures”. The culture of Fear is the rule here and used to keep all those to still working here in line. HR here is a puppet of upper management.

The CEO moved the company down from the east bay to off 237 and then has an office built in San Francisco so he doesn’t have to commute; all because it was mentioned in an article that Polycom wasn’t a Silicon Valley company because of it’s (East Bay) location.

No vision or direction:

Anything beyond three months is long term planning and non-existent. Their once technology edge is now gone and other companies are taking it’s place. CEO is a salesman and the culture is totally sales driven. Engineering is dealing with competing priorities and is stressed by not enough good people, no clear direction and unrealistic deadlines. A lot of the work is being sent outside the US. The culture doesn’t foster innovation especially when fear is concerned. Most of my management is busy playing CYA and politics, something demanded by engineering management.

No life outside the company:

First you only get two weeks of PTO a year and most of that is allocated/directed by management to be taken to reduce the liability and make their bottom line look better. Many of my co-workers are in the hole for PTO without the ability to make it up for time with their family. During these mandated vacations you are still expected to work. More than once I have been in the office and in meetings during my PTO. Speaking of Family, any outside life is frowned upon. You are expected to be “on” and available all the time; weekends, holidays, nights, this is all company time. One of the old “perks” was being able to work from home from time to time since video was so pervasive there; this is no longer the case. Not only are you expected to “on” but you are also expected to be at the office at all times.

After all this most of my co-workers and I are looking for positions outside the company.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO and most of the management. Treat the employees with respect and get rid of the culture of fear.