Polycom - Finance Intern | Glassdoor

"Finance Intern"

Current Intern - Finance Intern in San Jose, CA
Current Intern - Finance Intern in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to gain knowledge from directors of finance and exposure to top executives through internship program, decent compensation and most employees are great to work with.

Cons

Some confusion within processes of business

Advice to Management

Focus on the direction of the company to continue to innovate and be a top competitor

Polycom Response

Oct 29, 2013 – Communications

Thanks for your response, we love interns at Polycom and hope you'll either return for a second tour or join us full time.

Other Employee Reviews for Polycom

1. "Service ops - coordinator"

Current Employee - Service Ops in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Service Ops in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing is Telecommuting and teleconferencing services. great people to work with. Easy drive to alviso, right off 237.

Cons

The cafe is expensive - but good, gormet food cooked to order. The pay could be better also. that is all I can think of

Advice to Management

Better pay

Polycom Response

Oct 29, 2013 – Communications

Appreciate your post, the cafe is getting better daily. Regarding pay, we are very market competitive for new employees, and for current employees we believe in a pay for performance philosophy where... More

"A very tough, brutal place to work."

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Polycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart and collborative team members. Although you do feel like a serf toiling in the sugar fields while you work there with the Executives sitting atop fanned perches with whips to make sure you are constantly sweating.

Cons

The biggest one of all, Andy Miller who was finally fired (and this is all made public) for using company money to line his pockets and pay for his own personal high-end lifestyle, was fired. What is shocking is that the company heads pretend to be shocked--everyone knew what he was doing, but when you fire a majority of you workforce while you're there, nobody is going to speak up. But, I guess despite the company paying him more and more each year for terrible performance, it wasn't enough so he had to use company money to pay for his personal lifestyle. I can't wait for the mainstream media to publish real details of what went on there while he ruled. Not to mention the horrific informal laws in place there that could easily get you fired if you crossed them--not wearing certain patterns of clothes or styles (extremely formal place), taking 2+ connections for flights to "save money", forced to travel only on weekends because you are expected to slave away beginning first thing on Monday, ERASED pto (FORGET vacations--at least the employees, everyone The culture was truly ruthless there (the use the value "Relentless"). I left Polycom a few months ago and have never been happier. It was the worst, most stressful 3 years of my life. I have never seen so many people physically ill from stress. Don't expect the compensation the HR heads tell you are offered to ever come true...you will receive your bonus, but bonuses haven't paid in full in years and the stock price continues to plummet meaning whatever you're granted, cut that in half in terms of real value.

Advice to Management

Prepare for lots of voluntary turnover--a stark depature from the monthly firings and layoffs that happened. With the ones that have survived this reign of terror, you should treat them with a lot of TLC if you want anyone to stand by your side.