Polycom - Could be better with more thought out project planning | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Polycom

"Could be better with more thought out project planning"

Former Contractor - Software QA Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Contractor - Software QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Polycom as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

All of my coworkers were great.
Onsite cafeteria made lunches very easy (not always a huge selection of food, but better than driving someplace)

Cons

Bad contractor planning (was supposed to be contract to hire, but HR pulled the rec before hiring was to happen)
Budget issues
Sales-driven engineering

Advice to Management

When you bring contractors on as "Contract to hire", have a job rec open and ready when the contract time is up.

Have engineers plan release schedules and drive those dates, not sales reps who lie to customers, then force development to try to come up with solutions that wind up failing in the long run, and then at the last moment, pull all the "new features" and only half-assedly allow QA to finish up testing before release.

Polycom Response

Oct 29, 2013 – HR

Thanks for your comment. We are addressing the contractor issue, and will have a new process in place early next year to ensure this process is seamless, communicated openly and increase... More

Other Employee Reviews for Polycom

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Westminster, CO

I worked at Polycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, ESOP was a very nice way to make extra money.
    A few good people to work with.

Cons

Senior management has to be the most clueless group I have ever seen. CEO forced out because of accounting irregularities and the misuse of resources (allegedly).

Terrible internal politics and infighting and a clique-y atmosphere in IT that leaves the talented people out in the cold while the syncophants and incompetents are promoted.

Dominated by a hire & fire culture that is free of any values except strict adherance to the bottom line as it exists at any given moment. Forced taking of PTO multiple times (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving) which left many people in the negative and completely demoralized as a result.

Completely unprofessional atmosphere including HR. Complaining about being bulled or harassed gets you laid off so that they can make the problem "go away".

I've worked in a lot of different enterprise IT companies, and this one is by the absolute worst on so many levels that one review couldn't do it justice. I feel bad for the good people who still work there, but most of the folks that were of any quality left Polycom long ago.

Advice to Management

You broke it, you own it. Just hope that there is something left to salvage out of the mess that the Board and Executive Management has made of a formerly good company.

2. "Product Management Intern"

Current Intern - Product Management Intern
    Current Intern - Product Management Intern

I have been working at Polycom as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent people who are great to work with, comfortable work environment, great pay for an intern working towards a BA.

Cons

Very disorganized internship program and an incompetent supervisor with no management skills. After learning my way around the business for a couple weeks, I found myself making suggestions on how I might be able to add value with little to no input from my supervisor. In the end I was able to make it work, but I definitely expected to receive more guidance and direction.

Polycom Response

Oct 7, 2013 – Communications

Thanks for providing feedback on the intern program. On the one hand, manager alignment and support is critical. On the other, we structure our intern program to allow for innovation and see which... More