Port of Seattle - Safety Management System (SMS) Project Coordinator | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Port of Seattle

"Safety Management System (SMS) Project Coordinator"

Current Employee - Safety Management Systems Project Coordinator in SeaTac, WA
Current Employee - Safety Management Systems Project Coordinator in SeaTac, WA

I have been working at Port of Seattle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recognizes talent and willing to pay fairly. Great benefits, and accomodates very well for reservists and national guard.

Cons

no cons. I haven't see anything I don't like about the Port of Seattle.

Advice to Management

Keeping doing what you are doing.

Other Employee Reviews for Port of Seattle

"IT dominated by unqualified managers and leads....CYA and stuck in ruts is the culture."

Former Contractor - Systems Engineer (Consultant) in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Systems Engineer (Consultant) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Port of Seattle as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty Chill day to day, and decent pay for a government type entity.

Could be a good place to work, with the right leadership change and some hard decision making.

Cons

My Manager had no management skills, he was in way over his head and without training or guidence.... so the cycle perpetuated itself. Most managers my department interacted with appeared to be the same. No real oversight or consequences to managers or their decisions.

Compounding this lack of management ability was he tried to be "hands on" with the technology as well, and his skills were lacking and/or outdated.

Good old boys run the roost, and don't you forget it. Ruffle the wrong feathers of the entrenched beauracracy will get you run out, and quick. Bearing bad news to the king, changing to optimize in place procedures or systems, breaking out of groupthink, or just being better than whom or whatever is in place can get you run out of the company, quickly.

Don't think for a moment true talent and skills are rewarded here.... they aren't, and promises are regularly broken.

Absolutely no loyalty fostered or given, either down or laterally.

In the end I was happy when my contract ended, even though when I started I was hoping to go FTE.

Advice to Management

Time for a 360 audit on all middle managers and team leads as to management and technical skills. You have to bring in contractors to fill in these lacks regularly (should be raising a red flag), and it's in the unqualified management layer to oversee them.... so you never hear about what the problem is or the possible solultions.

Bring in efficiency experts for in place systems and audit what's in place, and hold departments and managers accountable to bring them up to spec.

Define standards, policies, and requirements that are not moving targets - and track transparently to the ground troops the progress in all of this.

2. "Experience at the Port is satisfying."

Current Employee - Assistant Resident Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Resident Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good people to work with, wide range of projects, very diverse culture, many people are willing to mentor. Family oriented. Good benefits.

Cons

Beaurocracy can get in the way of practicallity.