Portland General Electric - Get a job there if you can. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Portland General Electric

"Get a job there if you can."

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

Pros

First off: I was employed by PGE for only one week back in 2005. Due to my own, ahem, mistake (read: foolishness) I left for "greener pastures". Therefore, chances are my review is completely different from reality. However, I decided to post what I observed during the 1 week I spent there.
1. Superb benefits package.
2. Competent management, both the top and middle-level.
3. Super nice working conditions. You work in the heart of Portland, on the waterfront, in a modern building, spacious quiet cubicle, very high speed internet, top-of-the line computers etc.
4. Overall, very mature, professional and well run organization.

Cons

In general I cannot say I saw any. For me the commute was long (but it has nothing to do with the job)

Advice to Management

They seem to be doing good job and don't need any advice.

Other Employee Reviews for Portland General Electric

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Portland General Electric as an intern

Pros

Great work environment with flexible work schedule available.

Cons

Nothing that I experienced during my time

2. "Horrible if you're in the wrong group"

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time

Pros

A place to go, a paycheck

Cons

Bad management in some groups, bad supervisors with little experience and lack of technical expertise. Cliquish, and you have to know people to get ahead here, as promotions are basically not based on skill but rather time and social networking. Pay isn't competitive for engineering staff, still, even though they removed the pension nearly 10 years ago. Some people here need to be fired but aren't. Some supervisors don't advance people quickly on purpose, even though people show skill and capability and are otherwise good performers. This is probably rooted in a crafted strategy to elevate themselves and reduce real competition for their job. Thin veil of sexism in some groups, ironically toward men, with women cowing and bullying men...their chance to "right" the "wrongs" that men supposedly have done to women...sick, politically rooted feminist philosophy. This could be a good place to work if one were in the right group or department, as there are some friendly and talented people in pockets, here. Otherwise, I'd recommend people with real skill or talent stay way...which I've found most do, anyway. One is better off in private industry than this giant bureaucracy where personal favors get you farther than honestly going through the system...kind of like government.

Advice to Management

See cons and figure it out.