Portland General Electric - A stable place to work with a family atmosphere. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Portland General Electric

"A stable place to work with a family atmosphere."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Two reasons it is nice place to work: it is a regulated monopoly so the company works hard to maintain a positive public image. Also, people tend to work there for a long time so close relationships are developed. It is a nice combination.

Cons

The low employee turnover means that new ideas are harder to come by, and the average age is older than any other place I've worked. It can be a bit stodgy. Because it is under public scrutiny and MUST have solid delivery of its product, business tends to move slowly.

Other Employee Reviews for Portland General Electric

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

The company expects you to work longer hours when it's necessary but they also highly value a strong work/life balance. Management is competent with many years of experience internal to PGE. There is low turnover because people just simply like working here.

Cons

Base pay is typically lower than other companies within the same industry. However, the benefits seem to compensate for the lower salary.

2. "Get a job there if you can."

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

Pros

First off: I was employed by PGE for only one week back in 2005. Due to my own, ahem, mistake (read: foolishness) I left for "greener pastures". Therefore, chances are my review is completely different from reality. However, I decided to post what I observed during the 1 week I spent there.
    1. Superb benefits package.
    2. Competent management, both the top and middle-level.
    3. Super nice working conditions. You work in the heart of Portland, on the waterfront, in a modern building, spacious quiet cubicle, very high speed internet, top-of-the line computers etc.
    4. Overall, very mature, professional and well run organization.

Cons

In general I cannot say I saw any. For me the commute was long (but it has nothing to do with the job)

Advice to Management

They seem to be doing good job and don't need any advice.