Portland State University - Slow paced | Glassdoor

"Slow paced"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University full-time

Pros

There are a number of highly motivated students at the school and working with them can be incredibly satisfying. Coworkers were incredibly friendly and welcoming. The work-life balance was great. I worked a 40 hour week. Period. I was never stressed and didn't work weekends or nights.

Cons

The work itself was interesting, but honestly not enough. The pace of PSU was incredibly slow; I would be assigned work to last the week that I would wrap up in under a day or months-long projects that I could tackle in a week. This is not to toot my own horn, it was just that the staff had no sense of urgency and there was a general lack of drive.

Advice to Management

Audit departments to find out what work is actually being accomplished; challenge staff to push themselves, think outside the box, and accomplish more each year/quarter, etc.

Other Employee Reviews for Portland State University

"High Hopes - Deep Disappointment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working on this beautiful, dynamic, downtown campus is the only good thing about working here.

Cons

Communication is terrible. There are so many closed door meetings and nothing ever comes out of them. There is no advantage to being a University employee when you are looking for opportunities on campus, you have to apply for the position just like anyone from outside of campus, so why apply here?

Advice to Management

President Wiewel is supposed to address the public at Town Hall Meetings, all University Presidents do this and yes, there are the hard questions. Wiewel does not even answer the questions, he gets his VP Minions to do it for him.

2. "PSU SUCKS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was easy to transition here from being a student. I have spent nearly ten years at PSU in a student and staff environment. The tuition discount is 70%, and it is a very good discount, but hard to make use of.

Cons

The pay sucks. The days off suck. There are no flexible part-time graduate degrees. The parking situation also sucks. I work OT every day and every week but I am not allowed to cash it in. I also cannot take days off even though in a year I have accrued over a month off in OT. There are no promotions.

Advice to Management

Pay us more. We are worth it.