Portrait Innovations - Great First job out of College | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Portrait Innovations

"Great First job out of College"

Current Employee - Studio Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Studio Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

Pros

I just got my bonus today and it is so nice to be rewarded for all the hard work that we had to put in over the Christmas and Easter seasons . Yes, it was a lot of long hours and there were days that we were tired, but we are paid at time and a half for any of the extra hours we were so the pay checks were totally worth it. I have worked here for a little over a year, I started right after I graduated from college, and I literally have become such good friends with all the people who work there. I even went to one of their weddings! The manager is pretty awesome. She's been helping me work toward being a manager at a studio in the future.

I get that working in a customer service environment can be tough sometimes, because you can't please everyone...but I have to say I have met some pretty cool famlies and heard some neat stories from all the different people who come in here. I've learned soooo much when it comes to how to work with the things that customers need and want and it's going to stick with me forever no matter where I work in the future.

My most favorite part is the fact that I get to be creative. They've been giving us a lot of new props and backgrounds lately so we've been getting to try out new things and really give the customers a lot of choose from...which you definitely need because the software that you have to use at the studio makes you create a lot of speical effects and products with the pictures and if you don't have enough it doesn't really work out too well when you're showing the pictures.

Honestly, this has been an awesome experience for me at P.I.

Cons

Like I said before, the hours can be long....but the over time pay checks definitely make up for it.

Other Employee Reviews for Portrait Innovations

"After working there, I will never take my child or recommend to others because of how awful the company is."

Former Employee - Studio Associate in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Studio Associate in Snellville, GA

Pros

The pay is decent and you do form some great friendships with coworkers as well as build relationships with customers.

Cons

The management is horrible. Customers get upset with you because you force them to take pictures they don't want. They also get upset because of long wait times during holidays. You never see your family during Christmas because of insane hours. You only get a 30 minute lunch while working a 12 hour day and management will tell you there is no time for short breaks. Management does not know how to have constructive criticism, they only yell and threaten. You always feel that your job is on the line. They only provide a medical reimbursement for you to be able to get your own insurance which doesn't even start to cover what insurance costs. You stay sick all of the time because of parents bringing in sick kids. If you try to call out sick, you get yelled out and your job is threatened. From the top down, everyone yells and is negative. You cannot be as creative as you want to be or can be because you are limited by time and you must shoot protocol. Working there made me hate photography which has always been my love.

Advice to Management

Constructive criticism is a must. Work with employees to improve their skills, don't just threaten them so they get better. Cut down on the number of appointments so customers get the time they deserve and feel like they are important. Customer service should be the number one priority, not getting them in and getting them out. Offer better benefits to employees because they deserve it for all the time and hassle they go through to make you money. It should be such a fun and positive place to work but instead it is miserable, stressful, and demanding.

2. "Decent job, easy compared to some management positions. Found the company slightly disorganized."

Former Employee - Studio Manager in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Durham, NC

Pros

Clear communication with my regional manager, tight knit crew and usually cordial customers. It was fairly exciting to see the changes and vision for the future of such a young and rapidly expanding company.

Cons

In 3 years with the company despite my best efforts I didn't manage an annual bonus as a manager or an associate. I knew a few managers of other studios who got bonuses but mostly the one's in extremely high volume studios. The bonus plan was always presented as a very achievable mark but it wasn't so. Missed an annual merit increase that got lumped in to my promotion shorting be by about $2 and hour. I spoke with the Director of Management Development about it who gave me a very professional run-around.

Advice to Management

Keep it up for the most part. I enjoyed my time with the company I just felt a little under-appreciated and got the impression that without having a personal in with the company that I couldn't advance beyond studio management.