Potbelly Sandwich Works - Veteran employee | Glassdoor

"Veteran employee"

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Lombard, IL
Current Employee - Shift Lead in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Competitive pay
- Flexible hours
- Easy work

Cons

- Raises suck
- A lot of changes

Advice to Management

Make goals accomplishable without burning out your store staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Potbelly Sandwich Works

"dissatisfied sums it up perfectly"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Half off sandwiches are a plus if you work for the corporate side. The ease of commuting if you live in Chicago is also a plus. Met some great people while I worked there, unfortunately, the majority of them were not in the department I worked in.

Cons

Long hours. expectations to be on call while you're on vacation, nights, weekends (even when you're not at a manager level). Sub par pay compared to anywhere else at least in the finance and accounting group.

One issue was that as business grew, the resources supporting the business shrunk. People would continually leave and they would not be replaced. Or replaced with a temp that would instantly quit once they had a feeling for the departments and the long hours. Employees became more and more dissatisfied. I think the accounting and finance department (according to annual reviews) was the most dissatisfied department in the company and also had by far the highest turnover. The attitude within the department was like a cancer with a strong hatred for their job, which led to consistent turnover. It felt like everyone had an alternate agenda with others in the department and you could not trust anyone to not throw you under a bus. The majority of people spent their time bad mouthing peers, their boss, their bosses boss, or even their bosses boss but sang a completely different song when that person was around.

But the biggest issue I had with Potbelly was middle management. The person that hired me moved to a different department a few months after I was hired and I inherited a new boss. The person that originally hired me was great and I could not think more highly of that person. But as soon as I met my new boss, I began looking for a new job -- I could tell it was not meant to be. This person was only was polite to people when he needed something from them, rude, overbearing, and had absolutely no people skills. I tried to be nice to this person and suck up like the rest of my group did while he was around, but that just wasnt in me.

I wrote a really long review going into details about how terrible the working environment is but decided to delete it all and to sum it up like this: if you accept employment here in the finance department, expect the worst.

Advice to Management

The middle manager of the finance group should have no direct employees -- he does not have the skill sets needed to directly manage anyone. He will continually cause turnover just by being himself.

Hire the appropriate amount of staff so employees dont have to work 55+ hour weeks as the job postings suggest. And if they have to work that long, compensate them for it. Instead of being so frugal with salaries/benefits, why not take a look at what all the turnover in that department costs?

2. "Ehhhh"

Current Employee - Cashier in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people you work with make the experience fun

Cons

long hours with no nearly enough pay

Advice to Management

stop making quick changes (like extending store hours) without waiting to see how business is because that affects us as workers when our hours get cut severely