Potbelly Sandwich Works - Fun and relaxed | Glassdoor

"Fun and relaxed"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Shift Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere for regular employees, lots of fun. Uniforms are comfortable, reasonable hours, good food, too.

Cons

Benefits don't kick in until after a year of full time, which can be difficult to achieve the right number of hours. Moving up in the company can make you feel like a trained monkey

Advice to Management

Don't take advantage of your employees. Use their talents, don't exploit their desire for promotion

Other Employee Reviews for Potbelly Sandwich Works

"Worked here for 7 years, glad to be leaving"

Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Starting pay. My starting pay was terrific, and one of the things that led me here in the first place.
    -No late nights. Potbelly is primarily a lunch concept, which means I'm home for dinner 5 nights/week
    -People in the shops are a LOT of fun to be around. They are encouraged to have fun on the shifts, which makes work more fun.
    -Customers love the brand.

Cons

-Favoritism is at a ridiculous level in getting promoted. I ran a 4.8/5.0 scorecard YTD for 6 month and was told I still needed to prove myself. Huh?
    -No ability to control my staff. They can, and will, get away with anything because HR will not let you fire them for anything. I've caught people stealing and been told I couldn't fire them. No Call/No Show? No problem! You can keep on going and working here, even though it explicitly says in the employee handbook you will be fired for it.
    -No development plans. Potbelly preaches about coaching, but my continuous development plan has been an utter joke. In the 7 years I've been with the company, it's merited 2 comments, total. Both of which were, "Good goals."
    -I've been promoted twice...neither promotion came with ANY raise. Huh?
    -Being forced out with little to no reason. I was told my inventory was out of control (0.51% variance is out of control?), and that I should start looking for another job because, I quote, "Improvement won't help. It's just a matter of time." Way to tell me my performance doesn't matter and you're considering termination for some political reason. Bye!
    -RIDICULOUS budget process. They ask us to write our own budgets, but by the time they come back they resemble absolutely nothing like what I wrote. I know I sure didn't budget myself a 15% increase in sales from last year, but that's what came back. Really? 15%?!
    -Benefits are rapidly disappearing. Used to get days off for Christmas and Thanksgiving. Took those away (from ops people only, Support Center works 3 day weeks for those holidays, we work 5)...prescriptive schedules for general managers...can't even write our own schedule anymore based on the needs of the shop...just what Alwyin guessed they would be for every shop that fits into one of 4 "brackets" from his ivory tower.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horses. Almost everybody in the senior management came from an operations background, and has run a shop (whether Potbelly or not) at some point in the past...remember that. There is more to running a shop than achieving a budget of 15% over past year sales.
    People MATTER. In your mad rush for cash and becoming public, you've forgotten that.
    Practice what you preach. If I told my boss that the weather was to blame for poor results, he'd (rightly so) eat me alive, yet that's exactly what Aylwin told investors. ("There is no doubt that the external environment has been disruptive")
    If you want us to act like business owners, treat us like it. No profit sharing, taking away our stock options, and handing out prescriptive schedules for general managers doesn't sound like being a business owner to me.
    Have you seen the stock prices?

2. "Not the worse job for a high school or college student"

Former Employee - Certified Trainer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Certified Trainer in Madison, WI

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are a lot of fun to work with and it is a great work atmosphere.

Cons

Promotions are often times hard to receive or will get without a pay increase.