Potbelly Sandwich Works - Strung Along | Glassdoor

"Strung Along"

Current Employee - Shift Leader
Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a strong set of values that can be found in a document called "The Potbelly Advantage." The values and other parts of the document act as a resource of how to run the business. It's one of the reasons I am so passionate about the company. Some of the values the company embraces are food loving, integrity, and accountability; there are others, and I believe in all of them. I do my best to demonstrate the Potbelly Advantage while I perform my job as well in my personal life.
At most of the stores I've worked at the people have a strong sense of teamwork and are willing to learn more and increase their capabilities.
It might be food service, but it's a place where you can give the customers a different experience than most places. I truly value that.

Cons

Advancement opportunities for internal employees seems to be more difficult than it should be. Even when you do everything you're asked and more there is a chance you will be strung along. For the first time I am reconsidering my employment with the company.
There are times the values mentioned in the pros don't seem to be followed by some which is extremely frustrating for those who believe in following best practices. It's hard to watch when the same people breaking the rules seem to get the most praise from upper management. Ironically upper management is theoretically blind to the lack of integrity.
Managers, including shift leaders get burnt out which at times can lead to a lack of positive energy that customers can see. Which is NOT the leaders intentions!

Advice to Management

Have more faith in the people who work the hardest to execute the Potbelly Advantage.

Other Employee Reviews for Potbelly Sandwich Works

1. "Not a great paying job but fun for lower levels."

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere. Associates have an easy job.

Cons

Starting hourly managers dont make much more than associates and have a lot more responsibility. There is usually a line for advancement above hourly. Especially if you want to stay in your district.

"People and Customer Centered, Structured"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was hired as an assistant manager and promoted to GM within a year and a half. Great training program and continued coaching leaves no uncertainty as to what to do or how to do it. Good company culture based on values. Company filled with quirky, down to earth people allowed to be themselves with each other and customers. Employees and leaders are empowered to make others happy. Lots of opportunity to express yourself creatively through art and music. Live local music during lunch keeps the energy up! Lots of time to connect with customers.

Cons

Workflow becomes bogged down with checklists, audits, action plans, and reports. Salary managers work 50 hours a week with 95% of that time being on the line working as an associate to meet aggressive labor cost goals. I ended up working 60-65 hours per week, taking inventory, employee reviews, and P&L reports home. Placing food and supply orders from home. Some goals and budgets just not realistic.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the Sales Per Man Hour measurement. Give managers the time to mindfully complete all the planning, checklisting and evaluating you expect.