Praxair - Good company with organizational issues | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Praxair

"Good company with organizational issues"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well positioned in the industry, good benefits, steady work.

Cons

Lack of organizational leadership who communicates well, self deprecating environment, too lean at tiime

Advice to Management

Communicate more with team, be less vertical.

Other Employee Reviews for Praxair

"A fine company, great business model, but very conservative and do not care a lot about employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Terrific knowledge base, great commitment to safety, most managers walk the talk, good commitment to integrity, you're able to move into a different career path if you want to and put in the effort, everyone's willing to teach you what they know, great people at every single location including all the plants I've ever been to

Cons

Too risk averse, not willing to fire anyone, some very old school managers that feel there's only one way to get certain jobs (i.e. very difficult to move between technical and sales), not a good internal job change process, overall huge lack of communication, big mismatch in male-female ratio (about 83-17%)

Advice to Management

PLEASE do a better job managing your managers. They are the single worst thing about Praxair. I would say 80% of the salaried workforce are engineers, and most engineers need a lot of help to become good managers; it's just not in their DNA. Many people are promoted into the wrong positions and don't know how to use the power. I don't foresee any change in pay in the future, but especially in a town like Houston where I work, you can't afford to treat people poorly AND pay low salaries. They'll leave.

2. "R&D Engineer"

Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Praxair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, good group, one can make really impact from the first day of working

Cons

The small city is a little bored. Less chances to get promoted. Not easy to publish and network with others.