Prep for Prep - Rewarding | Glassdoor

"Rewarding"

Former Employee - Post-Placement Counselor in New York, NY
Former Employee - Post-Placement Counselor in New York, NY

Pros

If you love to work with kids, it's great. And if you'd like to work in the private school education network, its a great launching pad.

Cons

The pay is HORRIFIC. That's why most counselors only stay for a max of 2 years and then move on to grad school, work in education, or something else

Other Employee Reviews for Prep for Prep

"Ok for experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great organization and it's mission for education

Cons

small and not having a supporting of staff

2. "A great place to learn"

I worked at Prep for Prep full-time

Pros

Prep is a well-established, well-known educational access program in New York City. It has a strong base of support among independent/boarding schools, universities, its alumni body, and its funders, many of whom are long-time supporters. Working at Prep gave me a multidimensional experience interacting with all of these constituents which I believe has made me a sought-after professional in the field of education non-profits. I felt, on the whole, supported by my colleagues and management, particularly as I attended grad school while working full-time. Because Prep is relatively small and self-sufficient, I had the opportunity to get hands-on experience in many aspects of its operations, including marketing, donor relations, event planning, coordination of meetings, drafting of correspondence, and interacting with alumni, students, parents, independent school partners, and peer organizations. Prep's great reputation as an organization in New York City coupled with the diverse array of responsibilities I managed while there made my time there a great professional experience. I also had a great quality of life time-wise as my schedule was flexible so I appreciated being able to maintain a healthy work-life balance!

Cons

There is some disconnect between the Executive Staff and everyone else, including middle managers. Good experiences at Prep seem very dependent on relationships between supervisor and employee and the current hierarchy does not lend itself well to concerns being heard from non-managers who may not jibe with their supervisor. While being traditional is one of the traits that Prep prides itself on, a re-fresh and re-set of how the mission is being achieved is desperately needed in order to stay competitive and relevant.

Advice to Management

I think the organization is working hard to improve employee happiness but they need to take more of a bottom up approach rather than top down. Executive Staff regularly references the opinions and support of the Board, which is meaningful to those who interact with the Board, but not so meaningful for everyone else who feels totally alienated from that part of Prep's structure. In order to stay competitive and retain talent, Prep needs to promote from within and offer new opportunities for professional (and personal) growth to employees in a timely manner. Annual review process should be more in sync with budget approval for the upcoming fiscal year so that salary increases can be factored into that discussion.