Primal Fusion - Great place to work, in a challenging and ground breaking area. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Primal Fusion

"Great place to work, in a challenging and ground breaking area."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Smart team, collaborative environment, exciting products

Cons

Too focused on hiring PHDs, too much politics for a company that size.

Advice to Management

If they truly want to build a company, management must listen to the employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Primal Fusion

1. "Challenging but a very interesting space to be in"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer, Team Lead in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Primal Fusion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great office and very very interesting problem that Primal is working on (there is too much data on the net, why can't machines bring it to you?). Semantic synthesis, natural language processing with AI elements. Been here 7 years (as of this writing), my technical chops have grown the most out of any other place I've worked being here.

Everything you do matters here and your opinion is always valued regardless of your seniority.

Cons

We've spun our wheels a bit trying to pick the right go-to-market strategy or catering to larger companies that weren't really aligned with our value prop. It is a small company, which means you are involved in all aspects of the software life cycle, from brainstorming, to product road map & planning, into development, QA, deployment and support. That could be seen as a pro or a con depending on what you look for.

Sometimes it can feel like we hold up releasing something in pursuit of perfection, which can be annoying.

2. "No product/market fit"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Primal Fusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good pay, standard benefits
    - Excellent location at King & University (close to bus routes & highway, lots of lunch options, etc)
    - Nice office (decoration, layout, etc)
    - Decent culture and social atmosphere
    - CEO is experienced, well connected and charismatic
    - 5% Employee Trust to be paid out if there's a buyout or IPO
    - Good opportunity for researcher types

Cons

- Sometimes it felt like the company lacked focus and other times it felt like the company was focused on the wrong thing.
    - Founder is very intelligent BUT also very non-technical. Trying to nail down requirements was often difficult.
    - Management spent enormous amounts of money to build an elaborate product without ever checking the market to see if there were any customers
    - the Employee Trust is just a carrot on a stick... which only benefits employees who happen to be around for a buyout/IPO (which I don't see happening soon -- if ever)
    - Senior management did a road trip to see VC's and big companies in Silicon Valley and nothing came from the trip. But at the time lots of semantic technology companies were being bought left and right.

Advice to Management

Find customers. Pivot, if necessary. Stop wasting government grants. Add insulation between founder and dev team.