Primatics Financial - Lack of Opportunities | Glassdoor

"Lack of Opportunities"

Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Primatics Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on who you work with there may be work life balance.

Cons

The company operates in a very niche space that thrived on banks acquiring distressed assets. This worked when the economy was in downturn but they have not been able to maintain clients and get new one's as the economy improves. So there are few opportunities for learning something marketable and to enhance one's personal resume.
Whatever opportunities do exist are promptly shared, not on merit but favoritism as other reviews suggest. That also means reviews are a formality to justify ratings rather than to be used for development.

For a 200 small company it is extremely bureaucratic and senior management does not communicate properly with each other resulting in multiple meetings at low level whose sole purpose is to get everyone on the same page over and over again.

The VP of the biggest resource group believes that only top performers should be career coached. She used to famously say that in a group setting during reviews...that we should spend time coaching only the top performers who hold promise.

As the product name suggests, technology is evolving all the time and that also works as a caveat for when technology does not work.

Advice to Management

Your tier 2 managements do not talk with each other and are not as open as the founders were / are. Hence resources are not satisfied.

Other Employee Reviews for Primatics Financial

1. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Primatics Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Primatics for over six years, what I enjoyed most was that the people there are very smart, driven and even fun to work with. Working in technology I appreciated how they embrace innovative technology quickly. Working in an environment like that made it a great place to learn.

Cons

It has become much more difficult to get things done quickly and efficiently as we have grown.

Advice to Management

With the talent level you have hired and grown I think a flatter organization maybe more beneficial and help paint a clearer vision at all levels.

"Used to be great"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Primatics Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, the biggest advantage of working at Primatics is that you are working with really smart people. Everybody says that but here you are really working with people with very high IQs

Second, the executive management is really interested in fixing problems. Most of the senior management are made up of very analytically oriented people. Once you get them to take notice of a problem, they will find a solution. You do not find "check-the-box" kind of management here. The executive managers are deeply deeply interested in solving problems and moving the company forward

Lastly, the company combines technical expertise with business expertise. There are a lot of experts here, and you can learn a lot

Cons

I've been at Primatics for 4 years. Over the past 4 years the growth has exploded and Primatics was bought over by the Carlyle group. As Primatics has grown, it has gone from being more people-oriented to being more process-oriented.

Also, unfortunately, since Carlyle bought Primatics, everything is going downhill. Yes, when they first came on board, the company line was "Carlye is not telling us how to run the company. They are just advising us", which sounded like doublespeak, and it was

Cost cutting:- The company is focused too much on cutting costs. Cutting costs is important but it would be better done organically. The execdutive managers who used to be domain experts have become bean-counters. The way costs are being cut is not right. A lot of the responsibilities are moving offshore because offshore looks cheaper on paper. The problem is offshore is not ready. There are a lot of inefficiencies assosciated with offshore that are not readily apparent on paper. Onshore employees are being laid off, and IME, tenured mediocre employees are being kept while newly hired top performers are being laid off.

A lot of good people are leaving. Last 3 quarter the company has consistently said there will be no layoffs, and there have been layoffs every quarter. No one trusts them now when they say "there are no layoffs". Yeah there are going to be layoffs, and it might be me next time. Time to update my resume!

Finger pointing:- A side effect of the layoffs is that finger pointing among the middle management is on the rise. No one wants to look bad, so they point fingers at the other team. Everyone used to work together here before Carlyle

Egos:- a side effect of having really smart people is their egos. Especially on the technical side, different people are pulling the ship in different directions. There is no captain.

Advice to Management

Stop bean-counting