Prince William County Government - Great people, little room for advancement | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Prince William County Government

"Great people, little room for advancement"

I have been working at Prince William County Government full-time

Pros

People, Environment, Commute, Benefits, Flexible Hours

Cons

No room for advancement
Lower than average salaries
No promotions - must re-apply for each position
Tend to hire outside of the organization, rather than within

Advice to Management

You have a great core of talented individuals that often get overlooked based on title. You would retain these employees if you offered promotions, or quantifiable ways to move ahead within the organization. This is offered for some positions , but not all.

Other Employee Reviews for Prince William County Government

"Friends don't let friends work for Prince William County."

Former Employee - Community Inspector in Prince William, VA
    Former Employee - Community Inspector in Prince William, VA

Pros

Working there makes you appreciate the possibility of working somewhere else. The commute will not be bad. You will travel in the opposite direction of most of the traffic. If you live in the county you wouldn't have to drive far at all. You will be close to any restaurants. You will be close to the minor league baseball park. The best part of your day will be leaving. If you're lucky another employee will smile at you during the day. All of the public meetings are during the day, no night meetings. The restrooms are always clean. The building is generally nice.

Cons

Advice to Management

Read everything written in both sections above particurly the downsides and adjust. You are disconnected with other departments with the county. Support from upper management is minimal to non-existent. Many times it felt as though you were working against them and that you could get fired at any moment for any reason. There were times when you would work on a case for months and upper management would let the person off the hook. The county itself is not very nice. I hated getting up in the morning knowing that I had to go to work there. I was stuck in a room with five other people and we were connected to the other employees within the department. It was as if we were being quaratined.

2. "Social Worker"

I worked at Prince William County Government full-time

Pros

Support, great co-workers, fulfilling job.

Cons

None. Room for advancement. Positive feedback.

Advice to Management

Good job.