Princeton Review - Jumbled, Chaotic, Valuable | Glassdoor

"Jumbled, Chaotic, Valuable"

Former Employee - Classroom Instructor in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Classroom Instructor in Richmond, VA

I worked at Princeton Review part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about how to deal with groups of children

Cons

Management messed up my pay for the first month.

Advice to Management

Work on communication

Other Employee Reviews for Princeton Review

1. "Instructor/tutor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Princeton Review part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good part-time career. Highly flexible, since a lot of the classes and tutoring happen weekday evenings and over weekends. Hourly rates are great, and after a while, you do get raises as you advance from private to master to premier tutor (but that takes years). You get the pleasure of working with some seriously smart and interesting people --- students and coworkers alike! You get a lot of flexibility in how you teach classes (as long as you cover required material). Mileage for travel (and pretty much everything else) is reimbursed, which is rare for most other tutoring companies. And the methods really work; R&D works really hard to make sure that our methods and materials raise test scores.

Cons

Upward mobility is limited; you're probably not going to move up into operations or management if you're an instructor. Don't rely on this for your primary income; get a day job if you're not a student. Initially, it's very sink-or-swim; your first few classes will be kind of scary, since you're basically thrown in there after a weekend or two of training.

A lot of our instructors move on after a few years, either going into business for themselves after getting fed-up with management, or getting a 'real job'. Leadership is hit-or-miss, particularly if you work in a satellite office without its own ops manager. Your administrators and managers are overworked and overwhelmed. Have pity on them, for yea though they get benefits, they also work a million hours a week.

Oh, and be prepared for the occasional crazed parent. It pays to be very diplomatic and make sure all your i's are dotted and t's crossed. Caveat lector!

Advice to Management

Hire more from within. You have some of the smartest people in the business teaching in your classrooms, who have deep knowledge of the product and are passionate about what they do. It really isn't all that hard to sit down with an instructor and teach him/her how to manage courses. Believe me, we have to re-learn algebra and trig to teach; it isn't all that hard to learn Salesforce and phone skills.

2. "Going Nowhere in a Highly Competitive Business"

Former Contractor - Consultant
    Former Contractor - Consultant

I worked at Princeton Review as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have opportunity to make a difference in a student's career. Passionate business with corporate headquarters in a great area in Boston.

Cons

Technology Executives have no clue. Running business on one of the worst websites possible. Executives are very arrogant and should be replaced. No work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Time for a change if you want to stay in business.