Princeton Review - great part-time job | Glassdoor

"great part-time job"

Current Employee - Test Prep Instructor in New York, NY
Current Employee - Test Prep Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at Princeton Review part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay for a part-time job and really great for people who need to pick their hours. plenty of flexibility for scheduling and in addition ot teaching there are many opportunities to proctor or work marketing tables for extra cash

Cons

disorganized. emails go unanswered, students are not always processed correctly. Also wish there was more mentor-ship available between newer teachers and older teachers.

Other Employee Reviews for Princeton Review

"A great part-time in theory; in practice, dissapointing"

Former Employee - SAT Instructor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - SAT Instructor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Princeton Review part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite part about this job was my time in the classroom. I absolutely loved teaching and joking around with my students. By and large, we had a great time in class, and it was great practice public speaking, presenting, and teaching.

The Princeton Review has perfected the art of gaming the SAT, and their methods work very well. My classes' scores always increased substantially.

Cons

At the outset my trainer showed us a pyramid with opportunities for advancement. I thought this would be a great part-time gig with a good hourly rate. However, after speaking with some very excellent coworkers who had been working at the Princeton Review for over two years without making a nickel more than the starting rate, I decided it wasn't worth it.

I did not realize how difficult it would be to get a class at a time that worked for me and a location at a reasonable driving distance. $15/hour plus their driving compensation does not make up for driving 45 minutes to teach a three-hour class. And for proctoring a test, forget it.

Also, for anyone with a strong sense of social justice, working for The Princeton Review will slowly eat away at you. While the company claims that its mission is to help all students get into their best fit school, in reality, all it does is help rich kids take advantage of a flawed system because they can afford to pay The Princeton Review's hefty price tag.

Advice to Management

Hire competent instructors and compensate them accordingly.

"Valuable Experience, Underpaid"

Current Employee - Classroom Instructor in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Classroom Instructor in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Princeton Review part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a great opportunity for part-time work. I was considering going back for a Master's in Education, wanted to try and see if teaching was a good fit for me. While I really enjoyed my work there, it helped be figure out that in the long run teaching wasn't for me.

Cons

The amount of pay is not commensurate with the level of responsibility and the amount of travel required. I was driving 45 minutes-1 hour and 15 minutes to reach my classroom. They have systems set up to reimburse you for some mileage, but the amount of driving will put enough miles on your car to make it not worth it.

The work schedule can be inconsistent. After receiving certification, it took me nearly 2 months before I finally got some work. After that, it was easier.

There are three separate systems you have to enter information into after your class. It's a pain. Maybe that has changed recently, but probably not.