ProQuest - A good place to work, especially for people who work with higher education markets. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ProQuest

"A good place to work, especially for people who work with higher education markets."

I have been working at ProQuest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customer focused, strong content, innovative solutions

Cons

Has trouble integrating new companies/products into its' portfolio.

Other Employee Reviews for ProQuest

"Nice, but going nowhere fast..."

I have been working at ProQuest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low stress, leave-work-at-the-office gig. Can wear headphones most of the day. Dress code is super, super lax; you'll see everything from smart business casual to sweats and sneakers. Pretty generous vacation time (lots of newer people just got a whole additional week for next year.) Insurance covers same-sex/domestic partners. Nice, new-ish office interior, if you're lucky enough to not be stuck in the basement. The free coffee isn't half bad.

Cons

Positions requiring a university degree and analytic/writing/coding skills pay just a few bucks more than retail -- pretty demoralizing. Can be an isolating environment. So many people have worked here together for 15-20 years that things are pretty set in stone, socially. Little real collaboration so it's tough to get to know anyone. Still better than covering a circulation desk if you're a new LIS grad, but if you're young, want to make work friends, go to happy hour? Probably not the place for you.

(Oh, and if the pet 'insurance' seems like a cool, Google-esque perk, don't be too excited -- it's a discount program that's basically useless.)

Advice to Management

Provide a real mentoring/career development program for lower-level employees.

"ProQuest swallowed my company"

Pros

There are some creative minds at ProQuest -- mostly from the smaller companies they subsumed. There is genuine passion for making information accessible. They are a leader in the market and the product lines are fascinating -- databases of periodicals, scans of newspapers hundreds of years old. And they serve libraries, supporting education and learning. I think that's a wonderful business to be in.

Cons

ProQuest just chewed up and spat out the smaller companies they merged with. What were once fun, engaging places to work became just orphaned cogs of a very big droning machine. Once ProQuest came on board, the whole tenor of our office changed to one of drudgery and dread. Now people just keep their heads down lest they be lopped off. And it was a struggle just to keep our products alive and our small but loyal customer base served. PQ didn't really care about what we did because our revenues weren't as high as theirs. They have no appreciation for niche markets and niche products.