Procter & Gamble - Not the company it used to be | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Procter & Gamble

"Not the company it used to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I absolutely love the work that I do. I'm enable by my management to truly make a difference - which is one of the reasons I joined this company - to be a part of something meaningful.

Cons

Right out of college (about 7 years ago) I decided to start my career at P&G. The fantastic work/life balance is what really drew me in. I didn't mind working above & beyond all the time because the company was allowing me the work/life balance that allowed me to enjoy what really mattered in life while still growing my career. In fact, it made me want to give even MORE of myself because I was so grateful. However, I switched managers a few years ago and this new manager does NOT support work/life balance (even though we're a strong group that constantly exceeds results/expectations). It's been such a difficult transition, because you're still expected to constantly give 150% to get your job done, but you're no longer getting the work/life balance for which you worked so hard.

Advice to Management

You can't be a company that supports work/life balance if you have some managers that are not on board. Especially during this time of layoffs, benefit prices going up, overloaded workplans,etc. The work/life balance is a huge reason why I admired this company so much! It's what helps keep employees motivated to give their all and stay positive. A lot of us are losing that feeling. It's crucial that all managers be on board with work/life balance, especially if the employee is and always has been a hard worker / dedicated to the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Procter & Gamble

"Once a great company that should get back to its initial winning culture"

Former Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company & great people to work with. P&G is a company that has invested disproportionate in the systems, business process and people training so you can find a lot of mastery in almost all fields of work ; therefore, P&G represent firstly a huge opportunity for new hires who find themselves on a steep learning curve in their first years in the company. Also, the staffing and succession planning is usually very well done so you barely have time to get into in the comfort zone in your current role and you find yourself moving to a new assignment. This helps a lot on the personal growth part.
    Another pro is that P&G is a leading worldwide company with great brands , being year after year in the top 10 most wanted employers, which gives a sense of pride.
    Also the grow from within policy, brings the confidence that there are no "outside" factors to limit your career as long as you do good.
    Good compensation and benefits package.

Cons

The main issue comes from the fact that the culture and values have changed in the last period (although no one claims this) hurting in a negative way the organization (from a capability point of view). The main change comes from that the company is no longer appreciating "data based & intellectual honest " opinions but "positive thinking" in the most broader way possible. People are hurrying therefore to claim huge benefits and exceptional results behind flawed projects which start a ticking bomb bringing complexity to the lower levels or even damaging the business. This change of culture came with another change in employee assessment , by moving the focus from performance to image and as image is a variable in strong connection with upper-level networking , nepotism became quite spread in P&G. You can find yourself , therefore, on a good or a very good career path under one manager just to become medium to low when reporting to another, in disconnection with the level of your performance. Another con is that top management tend to cluster and defend , despite the obvious, a manager that gets negative feedback from its reports, especially those related to behavior. This habit has usually led to abuse-like behaviors especially at the upper levels (associate director and up) due to the nature of extreme constraint policy that some managers decide to use for their organizations. Last but not least, lower level should be empowered more, as the company is currently wasting a lot of talent, great ideas and opportunities coming from this layer of the organization.

Advice to Management

Restore the culture that has made the company best-in class for years. Continue to invest in people, and focus more on filtering true performance versus. claimed performance. Recognize those that really bring value to the company and to the shareholders. Empower more the lower levels, remember that paradigm shifts do not come from the center but from the outer-layers.

2. "P&G gives amazing opportunities to grow as a person, leader, and engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great promote from within purpose inspired culture

Cons

conservative, most career paths for American employees require moving to Cincinnati, slow to adapt technology advances and policies (electrnoics, software, etc)

Advice to Management

the lack of progression opportunites beyond band 2 due to being too top heavy in America, while have unwarranted accelerated progression of less accomplished and capable individuals in emerging markets, especially Asia.