Procter & Gamble - Not a huge chance for advancement unless you know the right people. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Procter & Gamble

"Not a huge chance for advancement unless you know the right people."

Current Employee - Order Management Analyst in Woodland Hills, CA
Current Employee - Order Management Analyst in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great job security, Its really hard to get fired at P&G. Even if you do the minimum amount of work you can still impress people. Sometimes I see employees only do one real task in a day.

Cons

Low to middle of the road pay, redundancies, and lackluster middle management. For the amount of work that I and my co workers do in CS we should be payed at least 40k/annual. Most of us are severely under that and it is really hard to care about a company if you don't feel they're caring for you. Working in CS means that I'm the whipping post of the company. Regularly, someone is calling to try to get something for free or tell me how terrible of a person I am because their order didn't come on time or that there was a little product left at the bottom of the bottle that they couldn't use and they want a refund. I've been cursed at, insulted and demeaned.

Its just the nature of the job.

Advice to Management

Be in touch more with the movers and shakers of the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Procter & Gamble

1. "Top quality people, brands, and ways of conducting business."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall, Procter people are smart, dedicated, and down to earth. Colleagues easily become friends and there is an overall high level of congeniality. The quality of people is P&G's biggest strength. The Company also has a pretty amazing 175 year history pioneering many firsts and in general is a leading innovator in many areas including brand building, products innovation, functional capabilities, and how it conducts business. There are a lot of resources in terms of people and budget to get stuff done (if you can navigate in the bureaucracy). The number and variety of career opportunities is very strong. I am proud to work there.

Cons

The P&G organization is over-matrixed and over-layered and there are too many competing agendas from different groups that dramatically slow down taking actions and decisions to the detriment of winning in the market. There are a lot of scale groups that span P&L's who don't add much value yet breed a lot of complexity. I believe internal complexity resulting in slow actions and missed opportunities is the main reason P&G has underperformed vs. key competitors over the past 5+ years.

Advice to Management

De-matrix and de-layer the organization to enable more focused business ownership and improve agility -- unleash the talent that P&G people have toward winning in the market vs. transacting with each other.

"P&G is a good company to work for, but ..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice well run company. A legacy of strong brands. Some two dozen billion dollar brands. Driven by consumer understanding and best in class technology.

Cons

Some of the down-sides of working at P&G include: (a) It's a large organization and one can easily get "lost" in the maze, (b) It's a tough place for introverts, women and minorities to make it, and (c) work-life balance really sucks especially now that we are focusing so much on improving productivity driven in part by threats of more (5%) layoffs coming in the future.

Advice to Management

(1) Take fear out of the culture! (2) Do things to improve work-life balance. (3) Truly invest strategically in the innovation pipeline across the company. Not just Design. (4) Support diversity & inclusion and truly ensure that women and minorities truly get a fair shake especially in the TCS technical career system.