Procter & Gamble - Make sure you are getting an entry-level management job NOT A&T | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Procter & Gamble

"Make sure you are getting an entry-level management job NOT A&T"

Current Employee - A&T in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - A&T in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Huge company so you have a broad range of departments to work in, it's like changing companies every time you change departments or business units. P&G has good benefits, decentralized decisionmaking, high level of responsibilities from day 1, mentoring program, tuition reimbursement, goal oriented evaluations (based on outcome and not how much time you work or other subjective reasons), 360 feedback (to help you know your strengths and weaknesses), and most importantly, P&G is a company that you can work for your entire life, most people do.

Cons

If you come in as an A&T (non management - Administrative & Technical) chances are you will never make it to management no matter how well you perform your job or what your educational background might be. Entry-level management positions are offered to recent grads of 4 year programs and masters degrees with no experience, yet, if you have these degrees and happened to start as an A&T, you have slim to none chance of getting into management. I know plenty of MBAs at P&G that are A&Ts, have been with the company for 10-20 years, have been top-rated and aren't promoted into Band1 (entry-level management).

Basically: If you see "non-management" in the job description, DO NOT APPLY if you have any aspirations to management, especially in marketing. Marketing specialists NEVER become Associate Brand Managers, it just doesn't happen. ABMs start at Band2, so if A&Ts cannot make the jump to Band1, there is even less chance they can jump to a Band2 ABM role.

Advice to Management

Stop undervaluing the talent you have inside the company. P&G claims to be a "promote from within" company and says "we hire the person not the position." This is only true if one is hired into the right level at P&G. If you are hired in as non-management (A&T), YOU ARE AN A&T FOR LIFE. If P&G wants to stop loosing talented people to other companies, P&G needs to start valuing their personnel fairly and compensating them for their accompishments and skills. The rating system and retribution system are very slow moving at all levels in the company.

Food for thought: The vast majority of A&Ts are women.

Other Employee Reviews for Procter & Gamble

"P&G is not all they say they are"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

The only good things about working for P&G were the pay and benefits.

Cons

If you want to get into or are already in management, you will need to give up your personal life. They preach about balancing work like and personal like, but they do NOT practice this. I know of many, many people in different parts of the company who are overworked!!!!! There is just not enough time to get everything done and still have a healthy lifestyle. I was carrying the workload of about 2 1/2 jobs and when I met with my manager to discuss my workload situation she wanted me to come with some suggestions for how to manage it. We had an "extra" person in our group at the time and when I suggested that that person take on some of the work I was currently responsible for, her comment was "Oh, you can't take anything off of your work plan. You need to figure out a way to get it all done." And when I asked her if I could have a support person to go to for additional help, she laughed at me. How is that for support? Oh and this was after I had been to the doctor because my physical health was negatively impacted. My doctor wrote me a note that I was only allowed to work 45 hours a week - as opposed to the 70-80 hours a week I had been working. It is pretty pathetic to have to get a note from your doctor saying you can only work 45 hours a week!!!!

If you do go to HR to try and get help, it seems that they just want to shut you up and hope that you will go away. I have had 2 separate situations at P&G where I went to HR for help and both times I felt they just wanted to shut me up. I got very little help or resolution. But I believe in standing up for what is right - even if it is the hard thing to do. P&G will talk about doing the right thing, but very few managers actually do do the right thing.

P&G is a totally different company than it was many years ago. They are all about the bottom line. They may say that their employees are their #1 asset, but don't believe. If it comes down to the people or the bottom line, they will always choose the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Instead of having to offer programs like Blueprint for healthy living, take care of your employees first so that these kinds of programs are not needed!

You need to do a better job of training your managers to manage people. Most of the managers I know really do not have the skills needed to do this well.

"Overall a mediocre place if you are smart!"

Former Employee - Group Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

-Good training ground and lots of opportunities to learn if you want to.
    -You can change assignments every 2-3 years and learn about different businesses
    -Stable company with leading brands

Cons

-Few very sharp people at the very top (VPs and above). Rest mostly mediocre undergrads from mediocre mid west universities who appear good on the job just because they have done the same thing for donkey years. Lot of poor talent at Associate Director and Director level with many of them never having left Cincinnati yet try to act like global leaders

-Very slow promotions with strong bias towards white males or women as minority versus merit measures. Probably can be even considered active discrimination which is generally hidden by well crafted stories of inclusion and diversity for the outside world.If you are very smart, sharp, or a person of color (not white male) you will be frustrated very soon and leave at some point as you can always do better somewhere else.

-Absolutely asinine processes of drafting tons of pages for low IQ Associate Directors and Directors who need to be spoon fed about everything so that they can appear knowledgeable in front of their bosses. Glib talkers with little real merit (after all it is a marketing company). Death by meetings yet they produce little.

Company has done well over the years due to institutionalized nature of brands (means even a joker can run it now), few stellar leaders like AG Lafley, and plain serendipity of pushing health and wellness at the right time. However, it is faltering with serious cost pressures, private label push, and with big retailers asking for their margin share.

I will recommend working here to anyone who is not that well educated as that is the best thing that can happen to you and the company rarely fires anyone. So you can make a decent living here. If you are smart or very talented, either look somewhere else or work here for few years and leave to make your calling.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the so called Talent within. It is now a well kept joke at best. Promote from within has taken a further toll by promoting people with near zero strategic vision or leadership. Template typing over many years should not be confused with innate intelligence.