Procter & Gamble - Great Place for New Hire | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Procter & Gamble

"Great Place for New Hire"

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

I think they really care about you as a person and want to develop you to be the best you can be. You get to learn about various work systems and they give you a guideline or CBA lol on how to do things. There is a way to do everything and its carefully outlined. I don't think this is a bad thing because you don't really have to follow the guidelines, but it makes your life harder if you don't. I think when you start out as a new hire, you want to follow these guidelines and then tweak them or innovate. I actually worked for pg as an intern and wasn't told how to do anything. I think they hired me based on the fact that I did very well given the circumstances. Knowing what I know now, I realise my assignment was incredibly hard and I appreciate the P&G tools now at my disposal. Those tools answer the burning questions I had when I was an intern

There is a lot of work to be done in some categories especially the acquisitions or mergers so you can really showcase your achievements. Furthermore the culture in some locations are very laidback, none of this proctoid stuff you hear about in Cinci.

It does seem to be an engineer's company strangely enough. If you are an engineer you can go anywhere you like from finance to HR without ever leaving the company, I think their training programs are that good.

Lots of people are lifers, that should say something. Finally my interview with P&G was the weirdest ever and I had to take some assessment, which was also pretty strange. They are looking for a certain type of person most definitely and if that's you, great. If not, you probably would have hated it anyway.

Cons

The Locations are pretty bad. The benefits could be better ... how can you not be immediately eligible for 401(k) contribution. Some managers are not good managers. There is obviously some politics and bureaucracy. Onboarding process could be better. Promotion does seem rather sluggish. Pay could be more competitive. Could do a better job of integrating acquisitions. Could have a better recognition program for good results. Workload is rather heavy, it seems like one has to be a jack of all trades. Way too much focus on reapplication and not trying to reinvent the wheel... seems like that goes against LCOS and BVOA and really thinking about 'elegant solutions'

Advice to Management

Listen more to the little people, they make P&G what it is and also try to see where your ideas are actually being implemented, it's feedback for the thoughtprocess

Other Employee Reviews for Procter & Gamble

""Great place to start but be patient""

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

P&G is a great company to start your career. The experiences and knowledge by working with others is incredible and will only pay dividends for the long term (within P&G or elsewhere). There are many types of positions given the size of the company and they make sure people move around to new roles to keep fresh thinking in the organization.

Cons

P&G is a slow turtle. It takes time for career advancement and people tend to get promoted based upon "playing the system" or because P&G is trying to meet a diversity quota vs. driving business results. P&G is also very process focused creating an environment of "red tape". A common phrase on how P&G operates is "Ready, Aim, Aim, Aim, Aim, Aim........Aim again, Aim, then Fire". Given the conservative nature of the company, ideas, career progression, and business plans take awhile for execution and must be reveiwed several times for approval.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the marketing. There is a lot of top talent in this area and is the backbone of the company. At the same time - get efficient. There is too much overhead in the company that creates frustration and prevents great ideas and opportunities lost since everything must follow a defined process. Reward the right behavior and for the right reasons.

"Welcome to the rest of your life."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

A great place to get exposed to a wide variety of business models and strategies. Great place for people new to work force and early in careers. Employees get to learn how business is done. Relatively flat org structure provides surprising transparency and visibility. ie, analysts are not relegated to cubicles in the basement.... they're given the opportunity to engage in delivering the business.

Cons

P&G's strengths are also its biggest weaknesses. P&G relies so much on standard work processes, systems, vocabulary and management approaches, etc. that everyone assumes these are ubiquitous. When the systems fail or are absent, it presents a disproportionately large and cumbersome challenge. Thus, focus is on doing what we do best vs. driving new, innovative ways of doing business.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to understand what would make the work place and fellow employees more efficient, accommodating, and flexible. Also, the company has changed a lot since the senior leaders were in the lower level management roles in the company. Encourage them to do some "day in the life" experiences to understand the growing demands on employees throughout the company as efficiency and productivity improvement are pushed.