Progressive Insurance - Good place to learn the insurance business | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance

"Good place to learn the insurance business"

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part you are left alone and not micromanaged. Pretty easy to sell, as it's a good product at a good price.

Cons

Pay is low. They try and compensate with occasional contests where you can win gift cards. Supervisors are not interested in developing agents, as there is absolutely no chance for promotion or advancement. Instead, they spend most of their time online shopping.

Advice to Management

Put the supervisors to work. Too much time is spent screwing around online doing nothing. Supervisors working from home is a joke. Most don't do anything while in the office. Make employees feel valued. A global company like Progressive should be able to provide a career, not just a mind numbing job.

Other Employee Reviews for Progressive Insurance

"Trust the numbers"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is great. No one can touch that in this area.

Cons

You will be worked like a dog and anyone who objects is labeled negative. The best advice I got was"Progressive says they want your opinion and feedback, they really don't. Just nod, tell them every idea they come up with is great." She was right! Five years later, that woman is still working there, getting promoted while her peers who spoke up are gone. I tried speaking up a couple times, not worth the label of being negative. As an example of my newly restored belief in just doing what I'm told, we had a powerpoint about a new program. One of the pages (after a quick technical explanation) said "Trust the numbers...the numbers are correct" People laughed, but after six years, I said, yep, I trust the numbers. Because, really, who and I to tell management how to run the company in the ground. They need no help!

Advice to Management

Your million dollar bonuses while they rest of us took pay and benefit cuts was a low blow. Peter B Lewis used to say that his employees were Progressive's largest asset. Please treat us with respect , listen to our "Friendly Feedback" and I may actually start caring about Progressive's well-being again. I keep waiting for the day we our told our jobs have been outsourced to Canada or what not. Stop being cheap greedy bastards.

2. "Really great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

terrific people to work with - smart and hardworking.
    great work environment,
    terrific training

Cons

Heavy work loads, but not all that different from other companies

Advice to Management

work more on work life balance and flexibility