Progressive Insurance - It's good it you want to stay in insurance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance

"It's good it you want to stay in insurance"

Current Employee - Managed Repair Representative in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Managed Repair Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your Co-workers will be great people, and will support you both personally and professionally. Your job objectives will be obtainable. You can have a comfortable work-life balance, and personally, I've found my leaders to be supportive in times of need.

Cons

It is a very top down company with no mobility, cross-functionally unless you live in Cleveland, OH. Claims make up 80% of the jobs in the company, so most likely you'll be in a customer service type of role. Most people view, even their own, insurance company as the bad guy. Which on top of being in a customer service role with people who are negative to you and your role they don't like who you represent either.

Advice to Management

I have worked in claims at Progressive for over 5 years and am about to complete my MBA. However, there are not opportunities for me to use my education locally, and nearly no support from a Fortune 200 company to improve myself with tuition reimbursement. You would think that a company who could use talent, especially developed internally with experience in insurance, would be more mobile in how and where they use it. Also, the last few years the company has developed a conflicting strategic plan. Initially, Progressive was focused on customer service in which every claim was assigned an individual claims representative from start to finish. Since they have segmented the claims experience from internal rep, to external rep, and if your claim is "less complex" it would be assigned to a central claim's unit (CCU). This conflicting strategy of CCU(high volume and low cost) greatly conflicts with the tradition of superior customer service ( one claim's rep. from start to finish).

Other Employee Reviews for Progressive Insurance

"Unfair decision to eliminate my position without offering alternatives"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great.

Cons

Treat administrative staff with no respect. There is minimal growth opportunities available for admins or clerks especially if your mgr doesn't help you to be promoted.

Advice to Management

Care more about all your staff. Work with admins/clerks to be able to take classes, even if it doesn't relate to their position so they can move up in the company or atleast have choices.

2. "I learned to accept changes, worked with beautiful managers, supervisors and co-workers!"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In the Customer Service Department, there are always training sessions, meetings, contests, potluck dinners (to mingle with your co-workers), and many other ways to grow and accept changes. The benefits are wonderful, especially when the company profits. You work with some beautiful people. You work in your own cubicle. You talk with some very interesting people!!

Cons

They always ask for their employees opinions. They try to make your job as easy as possible. A person has sick days and accumulated time to take off if needed. They have meetings with outside companies to come in and talk with their employees about financial and education resources. Managers and supervisors have open door policies when a person needs it.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working at Progressive. I was just thinking the other day, I was blessed with some wonderful managers and supervisors. Keep up the good work!