Progressive Insurance - Customer Service Representative | Glassdoor

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progressive is a great company to work for. I loved the people i worked with. Progressive is a very diverse company. Management is really great about sticking to the core values of the company.

Cons

Holistic attendance policy. Each supervisor can excuse or give occurrence for absence based on their opinion. If you and another employee from another team missed work for the same reason one supervisor may excuse it while the other marks it against you. Each day missed is a separate occurrence. If you are sick for three days there are three occurrences. The work load can be very heavy at times. The turnover rates it high.

Advice to Management

Advise potential employees of the work load. Change attendance policy to be fair to everyone.

Other Employee Reviews for Progressive Insurance

"I got paid well for what I did but felt like a scripted robot with no human empathy."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* The pay is the biggest plus, they paid more than other area call centers.

* You get 10 hours of earned time benefit a month. Good benefits.

Cons

* Odd hours. Good schedules are supposed to be given based on seniority but I got declined for my schedule change multiple times over the course of two years while people with less seniority were granted theirs.

* Promotions in my department were virtually non-existent so you knew that unless you transferred to another department you were always going to be doing the same entry level customer service job that you were hired at. When promotions did come up on rare occasions everyone became very cut-throat to try and get them. I felt that promotions were given to those with the most seniority rather than to the person who was most well qualified to do the job.

* No decision making authority. Almost every situation has a script and if you deviate from the script your call will be failed when they pull it. There is no decision making authority on your part as a CSR or any room for critical thinking. You just read the script. It's not so bad the first year or so that you do it but there's definitely some burnout that sets in year #2 when customers are yelling at you and they're upset and there's nothing you can do for them so you just read the script. Which leads me to my next point..

* You become jaded. When I first started, I really cared about each customer and wanted to help them. It would really upset me when I couldn't help them and I took it personally if they didn't like my service. One of my first days on the phone an agent called me a stupid b***h and I cried because I took it personally. After a while, you just can't care about every caller. It's too emotionally taxing to care about every caller with a sob story or every angry customer. People will tell you about how they can't pay their insurance because their wife is in the hospital or they're living on social security or they didn't REALLY deserve that speeding ticket on their record-- and you just can't care about it all. There's nothing you can do to control the price of their insurance. No button you can click to make their rate go down. Your job is to get customers on and off the phone. I didn't like the person that I became who had to pretend to empathize with customers just enough to keep my call ratings high when my supervisors pulled them. I grew a thick skin-- too thick.

Advice to Management

Being on the phones is hard work. Management seems to forget that because they've been off the phones so long they're out of touch with our reality. I think a big help would be to either give more promotion opportunities to help CSRs advance beyond that entry level position and do something besides be on the phone, or incorporate processing tasks into CSR's days so they take calls for 6 hours and then do processing work for 2 hrs. Just a 2 hr break off the phone to do something different and break up the monotony would have been a big relief. I also think management needs to spend a minimum of two days a month on the phone so they can see when they make policies what it looks like to enforce them with the customer.

"Awesome"

Current Employee - IT Operations Analyst Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - IT Operations Analyst Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, easy to take time off, managers typically work well with your needs. Lots of opportunity to move up!

Cons

Some people complain about promotions: I moved up rather quickly though. If you make the most of your time, you can move up quickly.