Proteus Technologies - Short-timer, but so far, so good. Great opportunities, lots of contracts and positions, and lots of training available. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Proteus Technologies

"Short-timer, but so far, so good. Great opportunities, lots of contracts and positions, and lots of training available."

Current Employee - Junior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
Current Employee - Junior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only been at the company for 6 months, but received training as soon as I started. The employees seem to have a great bond with one another, especially ones that have been there awhile; it is an encouraging environment with many talented engineers. The management has engaged with us in "Town Hall" meetings, which are held quarterly, they just started a mentorship pilot program for the employees, and we just recently won a prime contract. The All Hands at the end of last year was very informative (a little lengthy), but management really communicated where we are as a company and how we are doing financially, and the business opportunities we are chasing.

Cons

It is difficult to connect with other employees at Proteus when we are placed on a contract by ourselves. Some of the contracts only have 1 or 2 Proteus employees working on them, so that is disappointing since I am in that position right now.

Advice to Management

Just keep the lines of communication open and help us to win more prime contracts.

Other Employee Reviews for Proteus Technologies

"Not Nearly As Bad As Other Reviews Make It Seem"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people (other engineers and front office staff)
    - Medical/Dental benefits
    - $14k for training and college
    - On site, high quality gym (not talking a couple of machines and a treadmill here)
    - Flex hours, pays for overtime hours (contract permitting)
    - Plenty of company events/gatherings
    - Fantastic process for keeping employees off the bench and on site during contract changes

Cons

- Woefully inadequate communication to employees from upper management (historically)
    - Will not pay you as much as a company that's running out of someone's garage

Advice to Management

One of the issues with anonymous sites like this is disgruntled former employees can take their frustrations out on a company; while current, happy employees have little-to-no incentive to post feedback. I've been with Proteus for about two years now, and while there have been some serious hiccups in it's recent history it's a small enough company to be able to implement changes and fix issues quickly - and this is exactly what they have been doing for some time now. Some of the issues that have been pointed out here WERE valid, some are serious exaggerations; but many of them have been addressed. An example of this is the company is getting significantly better at communicating and listening to it's technical staff (quarterly town halls and drastically more informative all-hands meetings), and it's really leaning on the employee advocacy group for ideas on how to improve, and acting on them.

I personally believe it's obvious that Proteus is trying to listen to our feedback and improve things, even though it's very easy to be overly negative. We have, as far as I can tell, industry leading benefits. I realize this is of little benefit if you're looking to squeeze every last dollar you can out of your time, but it's an important consideration for some people. Realistically, we're all billed at about the same rate on these contracts, so it's just a matter of finding what balance of benefits/pay is right for you. I like the balance here... you may see it has bloated overhead (in which case this is not the company for you).

I will say we hire high quality engineers and the core group we have here is great. There are plenty of social events to bond with your colleagues (soccer team, happy hours, Run for Your Lives) and I consider many of the people I work with good friends. All things considered, this is a company that is doing the absolute best it can to maintain it's identity in an industry that is extremely competitive and starved for talent/numbers (if you work in this industry, you know exactly what I mean).

That said, I do want to address one particularly ridiculous claim that was made below - "Not an ideal place for females wanting to advance in their career." This could not be further from the truth, and I have no idea where this accusation could even be coming from. The owner of the company is a female, and the primary manager overseeing all of Proteus' IC contracts is a female who started off as an engineer and has worked her way up. I will say that this company is an equally unideal place to "advance your career" for both males and females, depending on what your definition of career advancement is I suppose. By that I mean, if you're looking to chase titles you won't find it here - it's a relatively flat company structure; but if you want to become a better engineer by surrounding yourselves with other fantastic engineers, this is a perfect environment to do that.

"A Frank Woof's Eye View of Proteus"

Current Employee - Senior Member Tech Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Member Tech Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sincere leadership
    Hardworking Backroom support obtaining new contract positions
    Immediate support via phone or email for offsite employees
    Trust in their employees to succeed with their customers independently of direct management
    Good pay and benefits and a support staff improving these when ever possible
    A continual process of improvement supporting employees including paid training, certification, education
    Sustained support of customer needs recognized by upper management
    A real open door access to all levels of management, and there is real interest in what you have to say, because their interests also lay where the employees interests are.

Cons

Only 4% 401k match. Some garage shoppes pay up to 20%, but of course, there is a cost... lack of new work when your contract runs out because there is no 'overhead' in the back room supporting the employee.
    Most work is 'on site' at a customer location. I prefer offsite myself, but some employees feel isolated when not in the same building as their leadership but this is a major portion of the business model of this company. I feel this is a matter of maturity on the part of newer employees that need some 'introduction' to how the real world outside the college lab really works. In many, many ways, what some express as a 'con' in this regard, I see as the greatest 'pro' for the individual that you can obtain in the world 'for free'.

Advice to Management

I have found management engaging with all employees from the newest hire to the most senior. I suggest this continue, and continue the culture of openness. Communication, direct, and clear is a strong point with this company, and it grows, it must continue with everyone (I certainly try to do my part as does my direct management line). When employees do not express their feelings, concerns or fears, the natural human tendency is to commit to fight or flight. Individuals always have their own expectations for any employment, any compensation for that employment, and what they are to contribute. Age of an employee is not a factor but the drive of the employee is. Maturity is not a matter of age, but a matter of that drive to be successful. Money alone is not always a measure of success as much as what an employee accomplishes for themselves. Management that leads and trusts the employee to grow is a synergy of the two, and I see that in this company in the areas I work. Employees have a strong drive to succeed in meeting the mission that this company's customer has, and it is demanding, it is hard work, it is very important and when you go home at night, the final evaluation will often reveal that the individual made an actual difference to the nation.

Encouragement to have that kind of success in an employees life and career will continue with this company as it grows, else like other companies it will fade. Management is very aware of this, as they came up this hard progressive line of working hard and often long hours to be personally successful in establishing this company. As new leadership moves up the line, I should like to continue to see this philosophy be instilled in that growth as well. And I see in the coming work and contracts that are on the immediate horizon just those opportunities.

A companies best employees do not often start out that way... they become that way though leadership and opportunity to learn and excel.

Thank you for your time reading.... and watch TOP GEAR when ever possible :-)