Protiviti - Good place to start your career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Protiviti

"Good place to start your career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good work / life balance (40-45 hours / week is normal; lots of vacation days)
- Work travel can be extensive
- Good culture but it can be hard to reconnect with people when you never go to the office
- Young vibe

Cons

- It's very easy to get stuck on the same project for a long period of time
- Work travel can be extensive
- Salary is competitive with Big Four but not with most mid-size to large / top consulting firms
- It can be tough to convince Management to send personnel to specific trainings applicable to client work
- The bulk of our firm's work is Internal Audit; it's very easy to get stuck on IA / SOX projects

Advice to Management

Be more encouraging of applicable training and self-study / professional degrees and programs. Also, think outside of the SOX / IA box! Real consulting work is so much more fun. Finally, encourage personnel to be in the office on Fridays. If I wanted to work for my client full-time on-site, I would just do that instead of being a consultant / contractor. Being able to reconnect with people in our own company once a week or once every other week helps keep us loyal to our own firm.

Other Employee Reviews for Protiviti

1. "Technology Consultant"

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have thoroughly enjoyed working as a Technology Consultant for a year and being a previous intern. At Protiviti, you are given the opportunity to work in any industry or solution that fits you. You can choose from Social Engineering to SOX Compliance.

The mentoring program is great having a "buddy" at the consultant level, "advisor" at manager level and "executive advisor" at director level. My mentors always worked to meet my needs and staffed me on projects that I was interested in. They took interest in me personally beyond work and felt more like friends.

The culture is young and welcoming. Majority of employees are 22-35 and there are always social events to attend outside of work. I have made life long friends and deep client relationships (great networking).

Protiviti has extensive training at each level in the company and really invest in their employees knowledge and growth. You attend a "Challenge" school each time you get promoted. I attended The Intern Challenge and The Consultant Challenge. Both schools have been the highlight of my career providing me great training and the most fun weeks of my life.

Work-life balance is a big deal in the company. I have never worked over 40 hours/week. There is a chance you could work over time but it is very rare (i.e. meeting a deadline) and they find a way to give that time back to you like leaving work early on Friday or coming in late the next morning. It is also very rare to work on weekends, even though some people do work on the weekend by choice.

Cons

Starting salary may not be high but you are promoted quickly which in turn increases pay at a fast rate. Turnover is higher as you become Manager-level and above due to people leaving to an industry job (this is a personal preference though).

Advice to Management

More competitive salary

"Audit Firm Masked As A Consultancy"

Current Employee - Business Risk Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Risk Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-This is great if you like to audit. You'll get plenty of opportunities to do so.
    -Work life balance is easily maintained here.
    -There are 1-2 excellent colleagues out of your class of 30-40
    -The pay is more competitive than Big 4, but it's quite low compared to most other places AND you do not get the Big 4 brand name on your resume. I'm not recommending Big 4's assurance or advisory divisions--I don't think they're worth it at all if you're putting in their hours (you might as well pursue IB or true Management Consulting).

Cons

-They tell you they do consulting--they really don't.
    -No one ever gets fired unless they're mentally ill; thus, you have some really unthinkably dumb superiors. UNTHINKABLY. This results in the mediocrity increasing over time as the excellent people all leave to pursue better opportunities and other future excellent people not wanting to come in due to the fact that Protiviti is getting dumber and dumber.

Advice to Management

Implement a 20/70/10 model like GE and others to fire bad people and reward your best people. It's not rocket science. You'll see your brand and product quality increase significantly over a few years.