Provenance Hotels - pros and cons | Glassdoor
  1. "pros and cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Provenance Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are truly interested in your well being

Cons

They lack some depth in some of the disciplines.

Provenance Hotels2019-04-17

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great Benefits, and locations"

I have been working at Provenance Hotels full-time

Pros

Benefits locations Hr department Communication between HR and staff 401k package

Cons

ability to transfer between departments

Provenance Hotels2019-03-26

"Money-hungry, greedy management"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent/Valet in Portland, OR

I worked at Provenance Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

They do promote from within quite a bit. I've seen front desk agents move into corporate positions that they would not have qualified for as outside applicants.

Cons

Of all the hotel jobs that I have had, this has to be the worst. I'm just going to list things out here in no particular order or importance: - You are expected to make your money either through tips (valet) or selling upgrades (front desk agents). So unless you are able to coax the managers into scheduling you on the busy shifts and have a sales background, you'll just make a crappy minimum wage. Which the... managers do play favorites and make promises to get people hired. - They will hire you with the promise of a full time job but you are required to take a 30-minute lunch on your 8-hour shift. That's 2.5 hours a week that they short you in pay and that can add up really quickly. And if you clock in before or after your scheduled time, rest assured your manager will write you up. - You will never have a consistent schedule and the schedules are hardly out on time. So good luck guessing what shift you're going to be on and trying to plan anything outside of work. I'm pretty sure there are laws about putting up schedules in a timely manner but that's of no value to Provenance. - You have to explain to guests what the absolutely ridiculous facility fees are and deal with the wrath of perfectly reasonable guests trying to understand this nonsense fees. - Management is very quick to waive it for smart guests who catch it and complain about it but a lot of unsuspecting guests end up paying an extra $23 per night fee. They charge for literally everything but tack on these fees just to see if they can make that extra buck. "Boutique" is just code for not up to reasonable hotel standards. Most rooms are small, old and dingy. - Employee and friend and family rates are a joke and dependent on manager approval and are particularly biased towards corporate employees. That's okay though, I wouldn't want to stay in any of these pretentious properties anyway. Last I heard, their newest Portland property didn't even have complimentary coffee/tea in rooms for guests. And a bottle of water will cost you $8 to $10. - Employees don't even get discounts at the on-site restaurants. - Training for new employees is non-existent. You will be thrown to the wolves and be put on schedule by yourself before you are ready. With all the Provenance-specific nonsense, you will be left looking like a fool. I've seen people quit on the spot or just not show up. - No uniforms but they expect you to dress well and pay for it yourself. Way too stressful for what they pay you. I would avoid it at all costs.

Advice to Management

How about you focus on treating your employees at least half as well as you treat the customers. Get rid of the facility fees or make it super clear for customers so they know before they book. Train your employees. Maybe then you won't have such high turnover.

Provenance Hotels2019-03-21

Discover more reviews about Provenance Hotels.