Providence Health & Services - Very challenging, but rewarding. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Providence Health & Services

"Very challenging, but rewarding."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Spokane, WA
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Spokane, WA

Pros

My coworkers are the best!! My manager works just as hard as I do and is very understanding. My floor is very flexible about time off and schedules.

Cons

The patients can be extremely difficult to deal with!!! Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with my workload. My vacation time is used when I call in sick!!!! Totally ridiculous!!

Advice to Management

Use sick time for sick time and vacation time for vacations!! Why is my vacation time used when I call in sick?!!

Other Employee Reviews for Providence Health & Services

1. "Great place with collaborative team effort and a desire for improvement."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Missoula, MT

Pros

The balance between personal life and professional life is well-respected.
    Great team effort.

Cons

RN pay is less than other PHS hospitals (I work at St. Pat's).

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your staff and respect their experience as tools to aid in employee satisfaction and in turn patient satisfaction.

"Good benefits, but watch out for the middle management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

The benefits for employees were very competitive based on what I've been offered elsewhere, or what friends and family tell me they have provided by their employers. Also, there are many wonderful employees, providing excellent patient care.

Cons

The middle managers in many departments seem to only care about how they look to Admin. Providence management overall makes a big deal about listening to employee feedback, but nothing really ever made a difference in my department. Our direct manager would ask for our opinions, then do exactly as she desired anyway, even when everyone under her presented a mostly united front for or against some proposed change. Most of the managers there do not actually have to do the job task they now oversee and have no idea anymore what direct patient care is actually like, even though they make the decisions about best care practices and staffing levels.

Advice to Management

Really listen to employee feedback, don't just make a big show of asking for it. Also, middle managers should actually have to DO some of the work they supervise, so they truly have an idea what their direct reports are doing and how demanding it is.