Provident Credit Union - Great Place to Work! | Glassdoor

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Lending Department in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Lending Department in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provident has great overall benefits. The team that I work with are hardworking and quality-service oriented. My supervisor encourages and mentors my professional growth.

Cons

Provident needs to become more family friendly by offering dependent care health coverage. They could also explore more flexible work hour schedules and telecommuting.

Advice to Management

We would really like to see and hear from you more often. Our CEO is amazing, but we seldom see him anymore. He always inspires us to do our best, but we also know that he really cares about us.

Other Employee Reviews for Provident Credit Union

"Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent profit sharing and work hours.

Cons

unflexible vacation schedule, does not promote from with in.

"I can't really complain..."

Current Employee - Provident Cheerleader in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Provident Cheerleader in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Obviously some other reviewers haven't taken full-advantage, but I know I have.

** Best possible mortgage rates and payment plan available for employees (even my rental property got an amazing rate; that alone would keep me here)
    ** Best possible car note rate and payment schedule - you will be living in an easy situation here.
    ** Full coverage medical/dental/vision (kaiser medical) for FT employees, and you only pay a very small amount for Blue Cross.
    ** College Tuition Reimbursement: $5k total each year if your degree is to benefit your career path at PCU. I used this and it really REALLY helped me financially.
    ** Profit Sharing for those who are hourly (I am pretty sure all commission folks are exempt, but when I worked hourly, this was basically an extra pay check twice a year... a huge bonus!)
    ** Free lunch twice a year (I personally hate the caterer in the building so it's actually a CON for me, but... it's free food and many people love it so who am I to complain? :))
    ** There is a preschool/daycare center within HQ and it's cheaper than almost any daycare out there and it's top rated (discounts for PCU employees). It's open from 7am-7pm so it'll fit anyone's schedule.
    ** There's a cafe/caterer on site so you don't have to leave to eat; but if you walk a short distance it's centrally located to other restaurants/eateries.
    ** There is a definite sense of clique's here - but in my personal opinion, I like that. Everyone here is pretty much on the same level: get more members, make better numbers, do better business. If you don't fit in, it's probably because you're lazy or assume things will be handed to you. (sorry for the bluntness).
    ** Honest people who support one another: if you are within the "clique" and you run a tight ship and you do your best with regard to effort, everyone helps you, everyone supports you, and you'll be the happiest employee here.

Cons

** For Benefits: For your dependants it's better to purchase your own plan, PCU doesn't cover it at all nor is it competitive.
    ** For Benefits: They purposefully keep people at less than full-time to avoid giving benefits and the pay rate to purchase benefits is more than you make at times, so it's very difficult for PT-ers (I personally would never work here for PT, but that's just me)
    ** The Management Staff is bombarded with info 24/7, so much so that the branches are at a complete disconnect with the HQ at times.
    ** Turnover is VERY bad in the branches. It's sad but it relates to miscommunications, laziness, and quite frankly, HR - they need to start hiring more ambitious, outgoing, sales people. Not introverts... no one wants to see a shy Sally in a branch... PCU is going through a learning curve type transition at the moment, and I have faith that soon HR will begin to hire more adequate folks and attempt to keep them longer.
    ** No Company Wide events. They do a bulletin event that they try to pass off as fun - it's not... lol. But it is informative. They used to have a big ball each year, they cut that saying it was budget - it wasn't, we're doing just fine. Hoping they bring back events to boost morale as many people here are disgruntled lately.

Advice to Management

Push for team building events. Hire outgoing sales-oriented folks (worry less about credit and background... we don't pay enough to be that picky!). Keep staff longer than 1-2 years, that's barely enough time to be fully trained - we have a lot of products and services and we need knowledgable employees. And lastly, keep in your mind that a happy employee is the best possible sales person and PR you can have for PCU. (Like me!)