Prudential - Prudential - Good place to start a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Prudential

"Prudential - Good place to start a career"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Associate in Newark, NJ
Current Employee - Senior Financial Associate in Newark, NJ

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, multitude of businesses and opportunities, convenient locations, great people

Cons

Pay is below average in my opinion, hard to navigate a career around the company if you are unsure of what you want to do, Newark is a rough city

I'm in a rotation program and the rotations are all very similar and limited in terms of skills acquired. Plus side would be exploring various business groups, but always using the same skills within each group limits professional growth.

Advice to Management

Take time to get to know your employees and understand their work

Other Employee Reviews for Prudential

"Overall, Pru is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Investment Operations Associate in Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Investment Operations Associate in Roseland, NJ

Pros

At Pru, the compensation and benefits package are very competitive. On a periodic basis, salaries are adjusted to be competitive with the salaries within the same industry. The benefits package includes comprehensive health coverage, tuition reimbursement, 401k match, a small pension fund, and a discount on company stock. Opportunities for advancement are also there for the people who wish to pursue them. There is a great internal job posting system to explore the wide array of careers available in the company. In addition, the company promotes work/life balance. The hours, at least in my position, are very manageable. This is a pretty uncommon find in the financial industry.

Cons

If you don't like the idea of working for a large firm, where your function is very specific, than Pru is not for you. However, this is usually the way it is for all large firms. In my position, I have the opportunity to work with other groups, but not to the extent I'd like. There is sometimes a disconnect when interacting with other groups, since the terms and concepts used can be different. I also don't get exposed to what other groups do as much as I'd like. This may just be due to the group I'm in, so I can't speak for the whole company.

Advice to Management

I can only speak to my division. I would encourage management to offer more inter-departmental training. This would increase associates awareness of what is going on around them.

"Work / Life balance always a concern at Pru"

Former Employee - Director in Iselin, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Iselin, NJ

Pros

The Pru treats their employees better than most companies and continually works at improving work/home balance. Salaries are equal or better than most major Financial Services companies as are benefits.

Cons

The outsourcing of jobs leads to uncertainty within the Inforamtion Technology Community and also frustrates internal and external customers.

Advice to Management

Outsourcing Information Technology work may come back to bite the Prudential because of the decling value of the dollar.