Prudential - Not bad, but... | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Not bad, but..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to work from home, and the Prudential name looks great on your resume. Most of your co-workers are friendly, intelligent and respectful. On-site gym and cafeteria.

Cons

Many of your days are spent in meetings, many on "diversity" and "ethics" training. But, there's no formal work-related training in most departments. People are more interested in asking you about your weekend than asking if you need any help. I have many days where I have done very little, then I'm thrown into a task where I have no direction or idea of what I am to do. Many people have been in the same role for 15+ years and are unwilling to accept change that can benefit the dept. New hires can appear to be a threat, thus the lack of training, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at the contributions of those who have been in roles too long. Maybe it's time to bring in people with newer and better ideas. Because, many of them are just flying under the radar, doing very little and collecting a big fat check.

Other Employee Reviews for Prudential

"Good at first, but it has been deteriorating over the past few years."

Current Employee - Associate Manager, Actuarial in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Manager, Actuarial in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Depending on your area, you have flexible hours. You can work from home from time to time. This comes in handy when you need to get the cable guy, or if you are expecting a delivery, or get sick and don't want to burn through your days off.
    2) Free parking if you don't commute by train or bus.

Cons

1) Headquartered in Newark, NJ, which is very, very dangerous. People get killed near by. There is gun violence on a regular basis in the near by areas. If you drive in, you have to worry about getting your car hijacked. If you take the train in, you have to worry about getting your valuables stolen by street thugs. If I knew Newark was so bad, I would not have applied here at all.
    2) The pay is consistently low versus the industry benchmark, that is, it is consistently at the far left of the bell-curve. If somehow your salary crosses over to the right of the mean for level and experience, they will adjust it the following year so you will move back to the low side.
    3) High level management sound like politicians during town halls. They make their decisions sound like great opportunities to leverage this or that, yet elicit no trust in staff. If you look through the numbers yourself, whenever their available, you can tell that they have only their own personal interests in mind.
    4) Morale has been decreasing ever since the new acquisition and restructuring.

Advice to Management

1) Give us truly competitive salaries, not ones that are two standard deviations to the left of the mean for our level and experience. Give us the bench-marked mean salary, or close to it.
    2) Be more transparent to your staff. We don't trust you because you seem sneaking.

"Benefits good/ climate - not necessarily."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Prudential full-time

Pros

the majority of employees at Prudential are great people. The PTO is great.

Cons

Although family / work/ life balance is part of the ads ... it depends on the site and the manager. And, don't think if you do put your family first it will never be held against you. Most of where you go in your career is based on perceptions of you and how much you know how to say what management wants to hear.

Advice to Management

lots of micro managing. lots of concerns from managers about what higher ups think. employees may have apos, but managers will never rate an employee a 5 on a scale of 5 in a review.