Public Interest Communications - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Public Interest Communications part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll meet the most wonderful co-workers while making a difference.

Cons

Talking on the phone for hours makes you not want to talk on the phone when you get home. Thank good for text.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Interest Communications

1. "Depends on who you are"

Former Employee - Caller in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Caller in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Public Interest Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay/commission can be decent if you have the talent. Free coffee is available, as are vending machines, and there is a refrigerator/freezer and microwave available if you bring your own food. You get to call people all across the country for a variety of different causes.

Cons

You either have the talent, or you don't. Sales aren't for everyone, and if you don't have the social savvy, the voice (e.g. hearing a teenage boy on the other end can elicit a different mood than a sweet old lady), or the assertiveness/persistence to extract donations, you won't get very high numbers. You're also at the mercy of the time of year. If you join when donations are slow, there are fewer opportunities to get the numbers necessary to become a full caller.

Advice to Management

I don't have much to say. It wasn't management's fault I wasn't cut out for that type of work. They actually gave me extended time to get the numbers. I suppose they could make the commission structure more attractive by adopting pay + commission instead of pay or commission. They have a competitor that does this, but I forget the name.

2. "It's all a lie.."

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Public Interest Communications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You're allowed to play with your cell phone at the desk... Yes, even while handling people's private info like credit card info..which honestly I'm pretty sure is illegal..

Cons

They mess up your paycheck
    They feed high performance calls to their friends
    Most of the supervisors are incompitent
    They have like 7 supervisors to manage no more than 50 people
    They feed u good calls with a reasonably paced dialer when your new and then after you've been there a while they race calls, put you on projects that are impossible to make any money in and then reprimand you even though they intentionally put you on overcalled lists.
    On slow days you get sent home early
    If you call off, you have to make the day up
    They tell you you're working with non profits but fail to mention the soulless political calls they force you to make

Advice to Management

Stop playing basketball in the middle of the office and actually run the place. Stop promoting awful employees to supervisor positions.