Public Outreach Fundraising - It Takes a Certain Personality to Enjoy this Job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Public Outreach Fundraising

"It Takes a Certain Personality to Enjoy this Job"

Former Employee - Canvasser
Former Employee - Canvasser

Pros

Good Pay.
Free Coffee.
Benefits.
Young and fun management.
Great communication.
Confidence builder.

Cons

You stand outside all day, rain or shine, 100 degrees or 30 degrees.
Lots of rejection from people. Made me feel sick at the end of the day.
Training program is too short.
Trying to persuade someone on the street downtown to become a monthly donor ($300+/year)
People get frustrated with you trying to sell them something as they're leaving work.
You have to get so many monthly donors every day.
High turnover.

Advice to Management

You offer OK pay, solid benefits, and the management is doing well. I just wish the job posting would have better stated the work I'd be doing. I didn't know, coming into the job, that I would be working a street corner asking people to become monthly donors. The job is miserable, and I'd much rather be making $8 and hour as a cashier at Wal-Mart, working as a telemarketer in a comfortable office, or going door-to-door selling cable boxes making much more money.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Outreach Fundraising

"First summer was amazing - second summer had a new manager and resulted in a pretty terrible experience."

Former Employee - Fundraising Representative
    Former Employee - Fundraising Representative

Pros

You become a lot more confident in your public speaking abilities, and really more comfortable with yourself. I met some of the most AMAZING people during my time at public outreach that I will definitely be staying in touch with.

Cons

Worked there for two summers. My first summer was great - my manager was amazing and really supportive. My second summer was drastically different - there was a new manager who was highly incompetent. She failed to motivate the team, gave poor directions, and fired about 25 people over the course of the summer (those who didn't make 'target' after two days of working). Keep in mind that these individuals who were fired had essentially zero training, so their failure was almost inevitable. With so many people coming and going, company moral was pretty low and the rest of us started to perform poorly as well.
    As well, I frequently lead crews and performed all of the work supervisors (cash outs, morning check-ins, incentives, rap practice and training), yet was never promoted (even after I discussed it with my manager and she told me I would be).

Advice to Management

Hire a competent manager - preferably one with a history or at least some knowledge of business and who understands how to operate a successful office, implement change and motivate and inspire employees.

2. "La secte"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travail individuel et en équipe, parfait pour une croissance personnelle et travailler avec des gens vraiment cool! l'ambiance de travail est super et les occasions de progresser sont nombreuses je vous aime mtd2!

Cons

la réponse négative des gens au porte a porte, la pluie et le froid. Les journées à 0$ et les canevasseurs qui parlent de ''chance'' sur les équipes, surtout quand ils font pas de pacs et disent que c'est le terrain...if you know what i mean

Advice to Management

plus de transparence des contrats avec ONG et autres