Public Storage - Time spent at Public Storage | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

"Time spent at Public Storage"

Former Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at night was not required.

Cons

On site managers are bothered at home. The pay is very low and the benefits are not good.

Advice to Management

Pay better for good customer service.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

"Cheap and Greedy Corporation."

Former Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some great hard working people that make the best out of work.

Cons

Another cheap and greedy corporation. Look up corporate greed in the dictionary and you will find Public Storage there. Keeps cost low for Wall Street investors. Low care about workers making a living wage. Insurance after 6 months of work. .25 cent raises. Low $10-$12 pay. Most places have no security cameras, or ways to combat many of the rude, and dangerous customers. Low budget work environment. Corp will push you to sell everything but do not reward you for the effort.

Advice to Management

Empower your workers with pride, give more than .25 cent raises after each year of employment. Make the sites safer by installing security cameras in every office.

"Overworked but paid ok?"

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours: Mostly full-time employment and off by 6pm most of the time.
    Benefits: Good bonus plan (when you qualify for it, they change it so frequently one can never be sure), good medical, great pto.
    Co-Workers: As always, they can make or break a job. Mine were 90% awesome :)
    Customers: Can be very great.

Cons

1. Micro-managed sometimes, undermanaged others. This made it very difficult to obtain a good balance.
    2. Over-worked in some areas (always working alone and being expected to make all calls AND memorize 4 new scripts a week at times)...under-worked in others (there were at least 2 weeks a month where 4-6 hours of an 8 hour day I had nothing to do).
    3. Management: I don't know where to begin. This is the ONLY job I ever had where managers felt the need to try and turn team members against each other. I have read other reviews from other areas, so I know it's not just my area, plus I worked for PS on both coasts in my 3 yrs with them. Sometimes I felt like they broke their backs to help us out, other times it felt like we were just an irritant when things like the security system breaking (in one case, the security system was down OVER A YEAR and we still had to sell the great security to new customers like it worked). My last 2 years my team was under a constant threat of firing...what our DM failed to understand was that we were all friends in and out of work and shared the interviews with one another--he was telling all of us the same thing.

Advice to Management

STOP trying to turn team members against one another. This is a major factor in turn-over. The less time you need to train a new employee, the less cost to you. Roll with it.

Praise good behavior rather than simply pointing out things done incorrectly.

Fix major issues as needed. I *cannot* sell the security system if it's been broken for over a month with no fix in sight...and I don't care to.

Stop hiring people who are not sales people and trying to turn them into sales people. There are SO many people out there with a sales background, don't sell it to me or the next person as a customer service position. It's not...it's sales and collections, at least until you stop pushing us to sell locks and insurance and merchandise to people who can't afford to buy them.