Public Storage - AWFUL-WORST JOB I EVER HAD.DEAD END WORK-MUNDANE- | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

"AWFUL-WORST JOB I EVER HAD.DEAD END WORK-MUNDANE-"

Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A way to get PM experience to move on wards if you can get out.

Cons

Old Shurgard properties have more issues than newer PS properties.
Large facilities have security issues after hours. Lack of cameras make it virtually impossible to always find those responsible.
No more monthly bonus-
PTO paid out after many diligently saved hours.Either use it or loose it to annual payouts..
DM's far to pushy on requirement to sell with every rental vs employee trans reports & goal sheets.
Some dist have 2 PS on same street making competition & occupancy all that much more difficult.
DM's only stay a year.reviews from prev DM no matter how good are re-written with very new DM.
Nothing you did in prev years reflects with current review..
High expectations-
Vendors junk & hauls almost impossible to get approvals for abandon goods.
Over weighted position vs pay for performance metrics.
Inability to take phone payments & delinquent customers not coming in for EOM payments.
Always loosing occupancy to Auctions!
DM's don't care about employees just about numbers.

Advice to Management

Bring back bonuses & let employees carry PTO out until cap vs annual payouts.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

1. "More Stressful Then the Job is Worth"

Current Employee - Property Manager

Pros

I was able to learn much about how numbers and how ranking worked on a corporate level, something I will be able to use in all future jobs. I had much more customer interaction on this job then I did with prior employment, both in person and over the phone. I also liked that management wasn't constantly breathing over my shoulder at every second of the day and gave me a little freedom to make my own decisions with how I ran my property. If you are a self motivator then the job is good as you are often alone several times a week. Pay isn't great but you ca survive on it and the quaterly bonus can be pretty generous.

Cons

The medical benefits are great if you rarely get sick. There is no room to advance as Public Storage does not promote from within past being a Property Manager. Upper management respect for their workers fluccates based on the kind of numbers your store is pulling in and many of the tactics used for raising numbers are dishonest to the customer. There is little to no employee loyalty. It is also very hard as a property manager to take care of any facility problems (gate malfunctions, potholes, leaks) as Public Storage fights tooth and nail to not allot much of a quaterly budget in property maintence. Most problems that occure can take up to months to resolve. Being that we are on the higher end of the spectrum as far as pricing is concerned, you think we would at least be able to fix problems more efficantly. This is also the only job I have had that did not pay overtime for Sundays and holidays.

Advice to Management

It is hard to be a great worker if there is little room for any sort of advancement or if we are just treated as a profit generating machine. The last company I worked (who has also been a Fortune 500 Company for the past 15 years) had a theory that a happy employee makes for a happy customer. The stress of making out goal easily gets in the way of what we are hired to do: Make moving easier for the customer.

"Hard work sometimes pays off"

Current Employee - Property Manager

Pros

Hard work and effort is rewarded. After tenure is established it becomes much easier and flexible job.

Cons

Low morale and poor communication between management levels and departments

Advice to Management

Better compensation for those working hard to keep PS profitable from the bottom up.