Public Storage - Call center - well run -- kinda depressing. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

"Call center - well run -- kinda depressing."

Pros

It was a simple job, low level. Corporate structure seemed solid, promotion and training equally so.

Cons

any cons were on the technology side -- but I'm sure that's all changed by now.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

"Worst Job I've had, ever."

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with.

Cons

There's so much I'm not sure where to start. :(

First scripts, there are WAY too many of them. No matter what you do the customers know its a script and just don't like it. It makes you seem robotic when dealing with customers.

I'm a property manager.... yet I can't do anything to help a customer. I can't waive a late fee, or make any decisions without first contacting the District manager.

The sales technique used is so close to lying. I've been called a "shark" by customers and it's just the way the company wants you to do your job. Customers will constantly accuse you of lying because they come in expecting to pay $16 to move in and then suddenly you're trying to get $44.07 or more out of them.

Micromanagement.

Upper management doesn't listen to their property managers/relief managers at all. If we suggest anything at all its ignored or we are making excuses about things. It's all about numbers and how much you can sell. If you don't get your goals you're given a hard time by upper management.

Theres no advancement at all. If you hire in as a property manager you will never move up in the company. Ever. Period.

Bonus program was cut and no real details on how to get it now. Used to be monthly and is now yearly and the company even says that only 40% of managers are expected to get it. So most likely even less will get a bonus at the end of the year.

There's a $.50 raise after 6 months but don't count on another one. I just got my yearly review and did very well but won't be getting a raise because they did a base pay raise to all employees..... not the same thing as a performance raise. Raises were also not given last year.

Advice to Management

Listen to your property managers, they are running your field offices. We know what your customers want! Listen! Stop with the micromanagement and stop having us push over priced merchandise on people. They know they can get it cheaper down the road, your customers are not stupid.

2. "Overall this job is good."

Pros

The pros of the job are that they compensate pretty good in my opinion for what they ask you to do on the job.

Cons

The cons of the job are that they are very micro managed. Coming from a retailer that gave more freedom to impact the business this has been a negative.