Public Storage - Property manager | Glassdoor

"Property manager"

Former Employee - Resident Property Manager
Former Employee - Resident Property Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Apartments on site at some locations.
Paid time off accumilates quickly
hours are easy if district is staffed

Cons

No possibility for growth EVER
No authority to resolve customer issues.
If you are customer oriented this job will frustrate you

Advice to Management

Nix the scripts

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

"Worst job I have had."

Current Employee - Relief Manager
    Current Employee - Relief Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and you learn how to organize rooms.

Cons

So many downsides I don't know where to start.
    SCRIPTS. They give new scripts every month and they all sound like something that was randomly put together by someone with less social skills then a newly made robot.
    Promotions are nonexistent in this company. They would rather bring a person from another company or another state to be the DM or RM.
    The only care they have is to the stockbrokers. They tell you that when the performance reviews come out no one is going to get a 5. So why do they even have it on the review sheet to begin with.
    They combined sick and vacation days together and black out days to keep people stuck at work. You have put to vacation time in the system by a month or longer or you will not get the time off. Birthdays or sickness they do not care you are stuck at work.
    The properties are falling apart. They charge people premium prices but if something breaks at the facility it will stay broken for at least 6 months because they put a freeze on all repairs without their consent. When the customers call the DM, RM, or corporate about the broken doors, insulation, or gates, corporate blames you for them calling. That right, Corporate blames the relief and property managers for the customers calling about their unit and goods damage, instead of calling the vendors to fix the problems and expects you to try and fix the issue knowing that that they will not pay workman comp if you get hurt.
    The wildlife that is at the properties is another problem. Spiders, Roaches, and rats are as regular as the customers. I lost out on a rental once because a rat ran out of the unit when I opened the door.
    The biggest step on their on the PM and RM is the waste that they call the bonus program. Every year it gets worse and worse. They rose the best rewards to 95% and when stores began to reach those goals. The bonus amount reduced and it went from a monthly to an annually program.
    The DM's and RM's keep nothing to themselves. If they know something everyone knows. It doesn't matter if the information is personal all of the company knows.
    No advancement, no loyalty, no bonuses. PS was a decent place to work before the sin of GREED took over. Senior management knows people will always need storage so they will only get worse from here.

Advice to Management

Care about your field people and less about lining your pockets

"Worse job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the customers I have gotten to know.

Cons

As a property manager I make a whole $.05 cents more than my relief managers but have double the work load and accountability. My DM refuses to call customers back which leads the customers to call us or come into the office screaming at us when we cannot do anything at the property.. We are not given what we need to do the job including enough coverage, a working golf cart and a broom that is actually made for industrial cleaning and not to sweep out my kitchen. We are told that safety in the work place is most important but are then told we need to fix broken doors putting us at risk for injury. And you know if you get hurt they will tell you you are not covered because we should not have been fixing it in the first place. At least when we were able to get a bonus it was incentive to increase our numbers. I don't consider the yearly bonus they have now a bonus because only 40 percent of us will get it.
    Our DM is such a condescending witch that everyone she hires wants to leave after the first day. She tells us to follow company policy but she doesn't. Like giving units that don't sell at auction to her friends. Funny I thought we were suppose to throw everything in the dumpster. I could go on and on about how horrible this company is. Everyone in my area except for 1 person is looking for another job and we all fantasize about how we are going to quit.

Advice to Management

Don't pay your property managers the same as your relief managers when they are doing double the work. Give us our monthly bonus back and then maybe we will care again. Acknowledge that we have a life outside of PS.