Public Storage - It's an ok transitional job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

"It's an ok transitional job"

Current Employee - Property Manager
Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work without having someone over your shoulder all the time

Cons

No real room for growth

Advice to Management

Open up some sort of training program to promote from within to corp positions

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

"Administrative job - No Leadership"

Former Employee - Senior District Manager
    Former Employee - Senior District Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation package when stock is granted. Properties are closed at 6 so few calls after closing.

Cons

Everything is micromanaged. DMs and RMs don't have much decision making ability; they are administrators and just stamp things for approval that adhere to very narrow company guidelines. Property managers and DMs make less each year due to reduced bonuses and stock.

Advice to Management

Pay the PMs what they are worth - $12 /hour. Give DMs and RMs more decision making ability and stop micromanaging.

"Its a job......that's it!"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working alone, interacting with customers/ new people.

Cons

There are so many....first of all the company does not care about you as a person they only care about their numbers......I got written up because I called into work twice in a month for being sick and having a sick child that I could not send to school or daycare let alone try and get myself up and moving. They want us to sell merchandise which is way overpriced and the customers know this and have stated that they will buy boxes down the street. The pay for what we do on a daily basis is not worth it. We are the front line of the company and basically we are treated like scum from upper management. I would like to see them do what we do everyday at the pay we make and see how they would feel. Bonuses when I started were ok they went from monthly to every three months now to yearly if you are the lucky 40% that will actually get bonuses. The DM should get to know the employees working under him and know a little about them instead of just downing the employees all the time maybe say something on the positive. Spend time with employees at every property to see what their strengths and weaknesses are. The scripts are horrible and sound rediculous when you actually use them with a customer. There are only three holidays the store is not open other than that you are required to work. Hope you don't want a big personal life working here you will not have one as you will work EVERY weekend and just about every holiday with the exception of the three that the store is closed. Nothing is ever repaired and if it is then it is literally not done correctly and needs to be repaired again about a week later. Many properties in my district do not have a working golf cart which is fine for small properties but there are quite a few large ones and asking a potential rental who may be handicapped to walk to a space a far distance away seems inappropriate and using your car and having people follow you is not much better. Property managers are asked to fix things that are broken to which may not be safe. Lack of communication between property and higher ups as well as call center. Treated poorly if you do not sell lock or insurance with every single rental....even if it is a return customer. If you are a guy do not plan on getting hired. Do not plan on having certain days off as they are never approved even if it's a medical thing. They took away PTO pretty much. "Black out dates" are rediculous we should be able to have a vacation in the summer with our families we are not much busier during these dates than any other time period. DM has been trained same as us but not willing to do the job we do if someone calls in or quits we are scheduled over time with out being asked. I could go on and on....

Advice to Management

Value your employees, stop micromanaging, stop harassing the customers for a google review if they want to do one they will it should not be forced, pay us field employees our worth a little over minimum wage is not making it, be more family friendly half the time we are open there are no customers coming in and family comes first, spend some time with the field employees and see what we do and have to deal with everyday,listen to what we are saying with things and stop penalizing us for things we simply have no control over we try our hardest everyday with no appreciation.