Public Storage - My career with Public Storage | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

"My career with Public Storage"

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Burbank, CA
Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best things working for Public Storage is they care in customer service. They provide the best training to make you the storage expert, between product knowledge, customer service, policy and safety.

Cons

One of the down sides is holiday office hours

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

"Headache with Lies used for Asprin"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free apartment with electricity included, you get to work alone

Cons

I worked for PS from 2009-2011, and I quickly became a manager at the Red Bank location just outside of Chattanooga. At first, I enjoyed the job until the DM changed. They brought in a guy who cared more about respect than the job being done right. He demanded respect, but did nothing at all to earn it. But, he gave you none in return.

The scripts were ridiculous. They made you look like an idiot, and worse, they come off as talking down to the customer and insulting their intelligence. Personally, if someone talked to me like in those scripts, I would turn around and walk away. I remember one time, they were trying to increase the sales of their overpriced locks, so they made it a requirement to buy TWO locks. This is part of the script basically...Cust: I brought a lock. PS: Good! You only need one more. Cust: Why do I need 2? PS: To maximize security. Cust: Do you have alot of break ins? (this next part is amazing) PS: I'm glad you asked that. It seems like security is important to you. It is to us too. We do our part by having coded gate entry and security cameras. We ask that you do your part by purchasing these 2 locks.

Talk about condescension. The script didn't even answer the customer's question! The scripts constantly changed too. It seems like they hired a bunch of college kids who had never set on a property to write the scripts.

I see alot of people here mentioning the bonuses being taken. Did you ever notice that each time the bonuses were reduced or made even harder to obtain, a week or to before it happened, there would be an email from corporate telling us to welcome so in so, the head of some new department of whatever? How do you think those people get paid? Not to mention the so called 'safety manager.' This guy travels from city to city investigating the properties. He spends 10-15 minutes at each property, asking the property managers how to raise a door, and other common sense things like that. He then asks you what the 'safety topic' is for that month, and looks over your 'safety binder,' which never changes year to year. All they do is send you another flyer with the topic on it, with the current year's date on it. Now, I want THAT job. Getting paid to travel the country, complete with hotel and meals paid too, and all you have to do is annoy people for a few minutes a day? Sign me up!! And, I imagine its a pretty lucrative salary too!

I'm going to go back to the upper management here. I mentioned the new guy I worked for. But his boss thought he was a drill instructor. This next segment illustrated the lack of communication and the low regard that upper management has for the property managers...One time, the regional manager came in, and I had locks in 2 different places behind the counter. He told me to get rid of one of the locations. I did, and the next time he came in, he told me that I disobeyed him, saying that he told me to get rid of BOTH of them. I politely reminded him that he told me to get rid of one of them. The next day, the DM who was there for both conversations reamed me for being disrespectful to the RM.

The DM also lied to keep me there. I requested a transfer to Augusta, GA. It was (supposedly) approved. We were just waiting for the property manager there to work out his notice and vacate the apartment there. But then, I made the mistake of giving a second dollar move in special to a family who already had a unit there...even though the person moving in had a different last name than the other tenant. The DM rushed to write me up, then told me that in order to transfer, you had to be writeup free for a year. I finally relocated on my own, but I found out later from a different DM that there was no such rule. He made the whole thing up just so I couldn't leave.

Do yourself a favor, and look into a different storage company if you want to go that route. There are others who treat their employees much better and pay more.

Advice to Management

Remember...The company can get along without all the layers of management. All you need is a regional just to coordinate. Even the smallest property makes as much or more than I did in a year. It isn't the upper management that makes money for the company. Its the property and relief managers; Yet you treat them worse than gum on your shoes.

"The majority of the reviews can't be real, or are from people in Corporate getting paid to lie to the masses"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not really that many. They try to sell this place as a good resume' builer, as a place to grow and develop your career. In reality it is none of these (more in the cons field)

Some of the co-workers were great bright people. But most were not.

OH YEA... you get to drive a golf cart...

Cons

Pretty much the entire job... It's hard to figure out where to start really.

The pay is HORRIBLE, I mean seriously, I just saw that Mighty Fine (a hamburger joint) is paying almost twice what a Property Manager that lives on site makes ($7.50/hr) here in Austin, TX.

There is no room to advance past Property Manager. You start as a Relief Manager. There really isn't a difference between the two anyhow. Except as a PM you don't have to bounce all around town on different days of the week to cover for people. When you get the PM position, if the on-site apartment is available then they will pressure you like crazy to live there. For a few reasons, the first is they want someone in that space because they are paying for it. The second is because they will bump you down to nearly minimum wage (around $7.50/hr). I kind of understand all of this, but what happens is you get stuck in the job with nowhere to go. You are living on the property that your boss owns basically, making nothing. You can't save to live off-site because you don't get paid enough. If you go to another job to make money, you won't have a place to live anymore. I can't tell you how many people I worked with that I truly felt bad for because they either had zero drive to do anything more with their lives, or they truly wanted to but the conditions that this company creates for it's employees prevented it from happening. You can get promoted to the KTP, or Key Training Professional, which means you will train all the new hires. I am pretty sure they make about $1/hr more than other people.

When your co-workers are bad, they are REALLY bad. I had some of mine stalking my wife on Facebook. By looking me up, and then befriending her only and sending her inappropriate messages. They stole from me, they lied about my work and tried to get threatening with me. Luckily I am not a scrawny scared of his own shadow type of guy and managed to get a lot of these things squashed, because management couldn't have cared less.

Management for the most part doesn't care. They want you to spit out their ridiculous robotic scripts, and lie to people about the "legal requirement to insure your storage goods" or try to sell someone a lock for $20.00 that you can get at Wal-Mart for less than $10 (same type of disc lock). This is to the point that they will expect you to turn away a move-in if they don't purchase these upgrades. Of course they won't openly admit that, but if you want to keep your job, and keep your numbers from looking bad you will end up doing this.

You have to deal with the scum of the earth, when it comes to customers (granted not all of them, but some of them are wastes of flesh.) I literally had a customer drop a deuce in front of their storage unit after vacating it. Guess who was expected to clean it? I was. The customer that brought it to my attention, because it happened between one of my two property check apologized to me that I had to deal with that stuff.

Honestly, all in all, this job is what I expected it to be. But I wouldn't suggest this to anyone. Even as an alternative to working in a fast food place.

I realize this may sound like a disgruntled employee. I am really not, it's been about 3 years since I worked there. And I have a MUCH better job, in the field that I specialize in. So I am really not angry anymore. BUT, I just felt that there were a lot of overly positive reviews coming from a place that really doesn't care about the little guy, and it not interested in the development of their field agents in any way.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. I never understood why a company would rather hire someone with no knowledge of experience with the company, and spend money training them. When they have plenty of capable and knowledgeable people working for them already. Seem like arrogance IMO.

Pay your employees more. Job satisfaction for a lot of people are directly ties to two things. Benefits (PTO, holiday, medical/dental/vision [that doesn't suck]) and how much they get paid. I would stayed with this job, and worked A LOT harder if my pay was equal, or even close, to what I had to put up with on the day to day there.