Public Storage - Nerve Wracking | Glassdoor

"Nerve Wracking"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Property Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Public Storage is a good place to learn the business of storage. No late hours. Mid morning start time is great. Get to work one on one with the public.

Cons

Workers are not promoted beyond property manager. Upper management are hired outside the company and most have never worked in the storage business, yet think they know what works best over the people who actually work it.

Advice to Management

Let people be themselves instead of robots with scripts. What looks good on paper is not always the best option.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

"Any 5 star reviews on here have to be bogusly done by PS to improve there online reputation!!!!"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it.

Cons

Scripts....... I'm not a robot and I know how to deal with the public. They expect you to sell 8.5 locks per every 10 rentals or the regional/DM manager will come to your property and hassle you. They expect a %20 increase across the board every year which is ridiculous in this economy. They make us tell the customer that some sort of insurance is required to rent a unit when they don't have to have insurance at all (were lying to the public to make more money). Bonus's are disappearing every year and this year my PTO was cut in half... If your on unemployment, do yourself a favor, and stay on it. I would NOT recommend renting a unit there either because of lack of security, Thefts, and they will sell your stuff if you don't pay. Corporate Greed is a BIG PROBLEM with this company. Employees are struggling to survive and PS corporate is spending extra money on building a useless float for the new years day parade... Their ethics are really screwed up bad here.

Advice to Management

Forget the scripts and treat your employees better (were not used car sells men). Your going to have employees straight out of Mcdonald's because of your pay scale (so don't expect much work getting done). Start your PM's around $18/hr and RF's around $14/hr and you'll get quality work. I could give them all the advice in the world but their not going to use it anyway!!!

2. "Great Company to work for."

Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an amazing company to work for. The training program for a District Manager is top notch. This company truly believes that it is about hiring the right people and investing the time necessary to make them the best they can be. Upper management is extremely professional and is always ready to give a helping hand when necessary. A career change to this company was well worth it. Two big thumbs up!

Cons

No cons to submit as I am extremely happy thus far.