Public Storage - Little growth opportunity, insulting annual raises, crap bonus and cheap district managers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

"Little growth opportunity, insulting annual raises, crap bonus and cheap district managers"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Associate Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I genuinely like the work, but am only surviving because I own my home. The compensation (compared to the high level of performance they require and continued mental abuse received from supervisors) is insulting. Pride prevents me from delivering anything less than my best, and that must be what they're counting on.

I enjoy dealing with my customers, although corporate continues to lose long term patrons because of regular rent increases (with no ceiling) and skimpy property maintenance. It's all about shareholder profits and executive bonuses, apparently. They couldn't care less about the customers (or employees). We at one time had bonuses for keeping property above goals. Now they have made it that only 40% or less employees can qualify to receive any incentives, plus our PTO is designed to stay at under 40 hours.

Cons

My experience is that DM's are spread too thinly between multiple locations and can't handle the work load. It's been far too long since they ran their own facility, if they ever did, and all they see now are numbers and how to line their own purses. Mine has extremely poor people handling skills, and will quickly throw a devoted employee under the bus to make them look good and fulfill their own self-serving agenda. They show very little respect, and belittle and talk down to employees regularly. They rarely praise you for a job well done, but regularly offer harsh criticisms based on ever changing 'policies' and mistrust through scathing emails, unrealistic audits, secret shoppers, spy cams, and recorded phone calls.

Advice to Management

Teach your District and Area Managers to respect their workers, quit micro-managing, allow your General Managers to make their own decisions, and then stand behind them. I am a hard working, honest, employee that works with integrity. My customers love me. My facility is run professionally. My supervisors treat me like a child and show no trust, confidence or loyalty. I've been successfully running this facility for more than 8 years and still have to explain myself and cover my butt daily.

What General Manager in other companies has NO say in hiring, firing, purchasing supplies, daily decision making, or is even permitted to contact their corporate office personnel without going through their DM?

The company has done very well financially, and is experiencing all-time high occupancy levels. General Managers and Managers have accomplished this in spite of poor leadership by their immediate supervisors and near poverty compensation. Give credit where credit is due. Stop spending millions on senseless aquisition of competing small self storage properties, unnecessary office remodeling, and computer upgrades that don't work, and pay your employees that run the field (the ones that your customers deal with every day) what we deserve. Then trust us to do the job.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

"New to Public Storage"

Current Employee - District Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Public Storage for about six months - so far so good. Great training program, which is very important - this is a different industry, so there is a lot to learn. The hours of the properties help to promote a great work/home life balance. Public Storage is a very stable and growing company; which allows great opportunities for advancement. I have no doubt that I have made the right choice in joining the PS family!

Cons

I believe that this is already in the works, but some computers systems/programs need to be upgraded.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive growth and focus on the development of people. This will enhance the advancement opportunities throughout the company.

2. "My experience at Public Storage"

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours that you work are morning and daytime hours. So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm.

Cons

Some challenges i encountered were , when i was hired i was told that there was room for advancement, but there really was not. A Relief Manager and Property Manager makes the same thing and neither position can never ascend to District Manager. Also in my city employees are paid less than other storage facilities that are smaller in company size.

Advice to Management

Management should stop frowning upon employees that work other jobs as long as it does not interfere with the operations of their business at Public Storage.