Public Storage - New DM to Pulic Storage | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

"New DM to Pulic Storage"

Current Employee - District Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
Current Employee - District Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the leadership! Regional and Divisional leadership is engaged not only in my personal development but also with that of the property managers which is key in inspiring loyalty. Training for new DM's is an extensive 3 month process ensuring that you are set up for success once in role, loved my training mentor and my training made me confident in the transition to taking over my current district. Seems like there is a lot of energy put in to succession planning and promoting within!

Cons

You have your hands in a lot more aspects of the business than I have ever experienced in similar roles, however the 3 month training ensures you are comfortable with all of this before going live.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the focus our team and service experience!

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

"Disappointed after many years of dedicated service....."

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security, the storage industry is very sound. People will always need storage. Storage is rarely something that someone just wants, it's a requirement during different circumstances of almost every person's life.

This is a position where rapport building individuals can shine!!! Being as it's a need, this makes each customer interaction more personal than in any other sales environment I've worked in. It's sometimes wonderful to hear the situations, and at other times heart breaking, but in either situation a unique bond is developed with all of your customers if you possess any customer service skills at all.

You have the opportunity to work both in the office and outside in the beautiful outdoors. This is a rare find. Property Managers do it all here. We are the field manager, liaison for corporate management, admin, sales associate, bill collector, security, police liaison, janitor, maintenance associate, grounds keeper, plus a few other titles.

You are exposed to all Rental Real Estate legalities. This is valuable information that can aid you as you advance your career in similar industries. In summary this position is a great job to prepare you to be very versatile in whatever career path you may choose when your time here is done.

Cons

The "Pros", create the "Cons". Odd as it sounds, all of the "Pros" I've listed, I've enjoyed. I've excelled within the company and rose to every occasion presented to me. I've been promoted as far as they allow field management to promote, and still pressed forward trying to give 110%. It's never enough. They always want more for less.

In recent years the local/regional corporate management has constantly changed. I understand the strategy in change management, but in an industry such as this, regional management that is familiar with the property managers, company policies, and state laws are all but a necessity. These changes demonstrate a need for fresh hunger in corporate management at the entry level, the District Manager position. Without hunger, it must be difficult to feed the constantly growing corporate greed.

During the hunt for starving DM's, I've watched the perquisites for the District Manager position appear to lower with each new DM hired. All are required to have had district management experience, a minimum of a 4 year degree, cannot promote from interior field management, and must successfully complete a series of interviews. Of course, a referral from within gives a great leg up, practically a guarantee.....I talk about this because our goals are all designed to ensure that from the District Manager on up, they receive maximum bonuses, incentives, stocks, etc. While all of our field benefits, HOURS, Sick Pay, PTO, Bonuses, etc, have year by year been cut to the bone.

The hours being cut more than doubles the workload on each property manager and either causes your property appearance to fall, your office duties to lack, your maintenance to go unattended, your security to fail, and/or customers to be left pulling up to a locked office, which results in missed business opportunities or poor customer service....We may as well say all of the above. The property managers are held accountable for all of this graded on it, and documented with "Action Plans" regularly.

Now this would concern most that this would affect your raise or bonus. I have not received a formal review in 2 years because the company felt a mass percentage increase was fair to all. 2.4% this year, whether you did your job, went over and beyond, or played Words with Friends, we all received the same increase for the past 2 years.

The yearly top bonus (the ONLY field bonus for qualifying property managers only) was said to be earned for the top 10% of the company. I found it to be quite amusing how many of the "favorites" earned the top 10%. I may have been none the wiser had I not been told that I was the one for my district, but other people in my district chose to boast that they were chosen, some were even funny enough to complain about the taxes that came out....

The company is then constantly raising rent on existing customers, providing them very little customer service, no incentives, and zero promotions for additional spaces, nor referrals. They leave the property manager's hands tied because we can do nothing to help except suggest they move to smaller spaces and tell them it's due to property maintenance. It's more than apparent to existing customers that properties in this area are going with very little maintenance, they laugh when we provide this explanation. Then corporate wonders when we lose customers or obtain negative online reviews.

Advice to Management

PLEASE learn to value those that have been loyal to this company! Take the millions spent on research for employee relations and get to know us, learn from us, we can tell you so much of what can help keep this company successful. Listen to your clients before they're gone, they are growing to despise our company. Allow internal advancements, provide raises based on merit, AUDIT and INVESTIGATE District Managers with high turnover or the loss of tenured managers, and please remember the cost of living has increased for all of us so bonuses on a more frequent basis based off of the higher expectations you've placed on us would be of greater value in the field than in the hands of the over paid, under worked corporate management. Without the field management, this company couldn't operate.

"Little growth opportunity, insulting annual raises, crap bonus and cheap district managers"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I genuinely like the work, but am only surviving because I own my home. The compensation (compared to the high level of performance they require and continued mental abuse received from supervisors) is insulting. Pride prevents me from delivering anything less than my best, and that must be what they're counting on.

I enjoy dealing with my customers, although corporate continues to lose long term patrons because of regular rent increases (with no ceiling) and skimpy property maintenance. It's all about shareholder profits and executive bonuses, apparently. They couldn't care less about the customers (or employees). We at one time had bonuses for keeping property above goals. Now they have made it that only 40% or less employees can qualify to receive any incentives, plus our PTO is designed to stay at under 40 hours.

Cons

My experience is that DM's are spread too thinly between multiple locations and can't handle the work load. It's been far too long since they ran their own facility, if they ever did, and all they see now are numbers and how to line their own purses. Mine has extremely poor people handling skills, and will quickly throw a devoted employee under the bus to make them look good and fulfill their own self-serving agenda. They show very little respect, and belittle and talk down to employees regularly. They rarely praise you for a job well done, but regularly offer harsh criticisms based on ever changing 'policies' and mistrust through scathing emails, unrealistic audits, secret shoppers, spy cams, and recorded phone calls.

Advice to Management

Teach your District and Area Managers to respect their workers, quit micro-managing, allow your General Managers to make their own decisions, and then stand behind them. I am a hard working, honest, employee that works with integrity. My customers love me. My facility is run professionally. My supervisors treat me like a child and show no trust, confidence or loyalty. I've been successfully running this facility for more than 8 years and still have to explain myself and cover my butt daily.

What General Manager in other companies has NO say in hiring, firing, purchasing supplies, daily decision making, or is even permitted to contact their corporate office personnel without going through their DM?

The company has done very well financially, and is experiencing all-time high occupancy levels. General Managers and Managers have accomplished this in spite of poor leadership by their immediate supervisors and near poverty compensation. Give credit where credit is due. Stop spending millions on senseless aquisition of competing small self storage properties, unnecessary office remodeling, and computer upgrades that don't work, and pay your employees that run the field (the ones that your customers deal with every day) what we deserve. Then trust us to do the job.