Public Storage - Although my incentive compensation was good, the stress of the job was not worth it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

"Although my incentive compensation was good, the stress of the job was not worth it."

Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in San Diego, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good stock incentive program. The potential bonus incentive helps offset the relatively low base pay. I had a good mentor who was in a similar position. Mentoring is a company best practice.

Cons

Poor working conditions, especially for the hourly Property Managers & Assistant Property Managers. Many times they do not get the opportunity to take 10-minute breaks. The company looks the other way in enforcing that employees get to take their breaks. Many of the self-storage properties do not have breakrooms for the employees. In those situations, the employees may have to eat in their cars, or in the office, which can lead to interuptions when a customer knocks on a locked office door.

For the salaried multi-unit positions, there is absolutely no work-life balance. They have to work 6-7 days a week and even then, find it difficult to stay caught up. Calls are fielded from customers at all hours (evenings & weekends). The company has a practice of eliminating the bottom 25% of employees at each level in the organization chart. It does not matter if you had a good prior year. Your area could have one bad quarter, and your job is at risk.

I had employees threatened by customers and had to work with legal counsel in getting restraining orders. My life was threatened as well by two customers. The self-storage industry is a tough one.

As far as Leadership at the company goes, they do maximize the return of the shareholder., but that comes at a cost. Customer service is poor, customers' rate increases are abundant, repairs at the properties are put off and the working conditions are poor.

My employees and I never saw any communication from Corporate Human Resources. It's the most silent department in the Company.

Advice to Management

Look at your employee turnover.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

"Don't get trapped"

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working alone for the most part. If you're taking night classes slow days are great to get some studying done.
    Position offers benefits if you can hack it.

Cons

As a Property Manager you have to deal with everything: cleaning, maintenance, customer service; which wouldn't be terrible if the pay was better.
    Safety is a concern, especially as I had someone who came in repeatedly and threatened me, basically saying she was going to keep coming back until she, "get[s] what she want[s]." My DM's position on this was a, "Sucks for you" attitude.
    Same thing goes for when the DM screws up. I had no running water for 2 weeks because someone did not get my backflow inspection done. He ignored notices from the water company for 6 months. Once again, it was a "Sucks for you" attitude. I never had 'drinking water' per say to begin with, but then I was without a sink or a toilet. I had to drive to a shopping center to use the restroom. In the meantime my DM called me constantly on the store phone to make sure I was still there and didn't decide to leave without telling him.
    The company refuses to pay to repair and maintain their properties. I have NO light at my location at night. This has been reported for months, but the company did not like the estimate given by various contractors to repair/replace my lighting.
    I get to deal with the customer complaints on no lights, holes in buildings, rate increases (which are extreme), and now I'm having health problems (so I'm trapped because this is where I get my benefits)
    The sales requirements are ridiculous. It is assumed you are not executing the script properly if you fail to sell a $20 lock to every customer. Most of these people rent their trucks from Uhaul. Same locks for $13.
    It would be nice to get a weekend off every once in awhile without having to fight for it. Only certain employees get all of the days off they want, including 3- and 4-day weekends. I cannot remember the last time I had a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday off.

Advice to Management

If you have NEVER worked in an office for what we make, do NOT come in and tell us we are not doing our jobs correctly.
    Pay us what we're worth. The amount of pay is not commensurate to the responsibility.
    Invest in properly maintaining facilities. For how high the rent is and for how much you raise the rent each year, in addition to how much you don't pay your employees, you can afford to PROPERLY repair buildings. Stop slapping half-assed band-aids on everything.

"Manager everyones a manager"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you do not have to deal with many customers. And you get to ride a golf cart a lot.

Cons

you get paid 9.50 an hour and never get raises. People go crazy some times on you yelling about there stuff getting ruined or sold at actions. Once a week you have to make over a hundred calls to tell people there rent is due. also no room for upper movement in the company.

Advice to Management

if you pay more you will get better talent. and you guys should advertise more the employees cant force people to stop in.