Publix - Where working is not really a pleasure.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Publix

"Where working is not really a pleasure...."

Current Employee - Bagger in Pembroke Pines, FL
Current Employee - Bagger in Pembroke Pines, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start at minimum, but you can get a raise every six months.
Flexible Hours
Nice shoppers

Cons

Low amount of hours
Evaluations are not accurate
You are not really appreciated for what you do
Favoritism

Advice to Management

Take the time to actually evaluate the associates.
Make the store a more pleasant environment by actually being a likable person.
Give equal amount of hours to workers, stop using Oasis as an excuse.

Other Employee Reviews for Publix

"Where do I begin????? I have worked Part Time, Full Time and in Management in multiple stores."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Publix (More than 10 years)

Pros

*The pay is ok if you're non-management, but great if you are in management. Really the bonuses, and benefits (401K & given company stock) and insurance are really the only thing worth hanging around for (especially for non-management employees), if you meet the requirements for them, and depending on the managers, you will probably have to work very hard to get them, but there are a few who give those positions away easily.
    *Great co-workers. There will always be people you make not get along with in life but you should definitely be able to make some great friends here. Publix co-workers usually form long lasting bonds.
    *They must be doing something right, Publix continues to make record profits, even in a bad economy. They have also never laid off anyone due to company down-sizing or a bad economy. Good job security.
    *They hire from within, so even if you do not have a degree and work hard, you can work your way up the ladder.
    *The company is owned and operated by employees. Employees can buy and also are given stock. Publix is not an openly traded stock.

Cons

*The hours are horrible (could start at 4am and end at 11pm or 12am). How bad the hours really are depends on what department you work in and if you are a manager or not. Non-management works a max of 8 hours with usually an hour break, but what you work varies, and could be any day of the week, and your schedule changes from week to week. In management you work 10 to 12 hour days (sometimes longer), and no guaranteed break, but you usually get one, and your schedule can change from week to week though they try to give you a set schedule, if possible. Due to the long hours, and stress of the job, many find it hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
    *This is retail and lets face it- working with the public can make you crazy.
    *Each store is usually ran differently, even though they are part of the same company. Everything depends on your Store Manager, who makes the rules and procedures as they see fit, even changing the rules or misinforming other employees because of their ignorance or to suit their needs.
    *The corporate office insists on using archaic technology and software.. I find it ironic that a company that prides itself on being the first supermarket to have such advanced equipment in their stores when they first opened, like automatic opening doors, yet now they consistently fall behind or neglect their stores in this way.
    *Cut back on benefits to part time workers. This has happened in just the past few years.
    *The constant cutting back of payroll or not having enough payroll for business needs has to be the number one gripe with most people who work in the stores, especially in management. And that would lead to my next point, how does a manager effectively manage a store or their department if they spend almost all of their time bagging groceries or stocking shelves and making subs? Nor should they spend all their time locked away in their office, but most managers end up making up for the lack of payroll by doing the work themselves. Managers are told to just "make it happen."
    *Management or leading to management can be very competitive. I have seen people lie and cheat (among other things) to make their way to the next position.
    *There are a few amazing managers, but sadly not nearly enough to go around. Managers are so key to the stores moral, and to business, but in most areas all the bad managers are placed into the same stores, usually low volume/slow stores, while the good ones go to the high volume/busy stores. I have seen this too many times to count. The same thing has happened can with non-management employees, but in management it can be more detrimental.
    *In the past few years, there has been a growing disconnect and disdain for Publix corporate and their DM's. They seem almost oblivious to the what goes on in their stores- good or especially bad. It would be amazing to see any District Manager in your store for more than an hour (though there are exceptions, a rare few will spend more time), and even more amazing to see anyone in a management position who is above the District Manager. How do you really know how your stores are operating if no one above the Store Manager ever goes in there?! Managers are asked to spend time with their employees, mentoring and coaching them. I think if the District Managers and Corporate did the same with managers (and even employees) in their stores, I think that alone could make a huge difference in moral and they way the stores are operated.

Advice to Management

*Stop the "Yes" men. You must be able to listen to people who can tell you the truth about any situation or concern whether it is good or bad. Many of the managers are too afraid to speak up to
    their District Managers (and sometimes even their Store Managers) because many of them only want someone who will say yes or only be positive and are not allowed to express their opinions or concerns on problems and challenges in their stores. Both positives and negatives of business and store operations must be discussed without hesitation for them to be quickly solved and to ensure the continuing success of the company. I find that this is one of the most aggravating problems that has lead to many managers, and even those in non-management, to become very disheartened with their management or upper management and corporate. This is especially true for District Managers- many in management feel their DM's want only "Yes" men. Many managers feel that they have endangered their careers by speaking up and feel like no one is willing to hear what they have to say.
    *Please read my pros and cons lists- especially the cons about payroll and the final con about the disconnect with Corporate.

"While its similar to many other grocery store jobs, Publix is a company worth being with."

Former Employee - Bagger/Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Bagger/Cashier in Atlanta, GA

Pros

No matter what location I worked at, you meet amazing people. Some young high school kids who are working their first jobs, or middle age folks who need some extra income. I think they try to hire nice people, because having bad coworker experiences was a rarity. I still keep in touch with friends I met on the job.

Cons

One of my managers told me once that "One thing Publix doesn't do great is they'll never tell you when you do something right". I found this to be true. If you do your job great, you probably wont hear about it. An awesome manager might say something, but its not likely. If you need work on something, they will quickly correct it. I never had to many problems with it, but it would have been nice to get some positive reinforcement on the really hectic days.

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees! Many at my level were either high school or college students, really working hard. It would have made work a little better if we were told some good things from time to time.