Publix - Employees are not machines. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Publix

"Employees are not machines."

Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Tampa, FL
Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Tampa, FL

I worked at Publix part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ummm....job security.
Meet many people, briefly.

Cons

Note on the pros: (You can not get fired for most any reason...though they will cut your hours serverly if they want you to quit)

Schedules are not consistent...at all...with no checks in the computer that designs your schedule to prevent you from leaving at 11PM one night, and opening at 6AM the following morning.
Tasks are distributed despite seniority, or skill, or even job class. If you are in the fancy uniform to work customer service, get out and sweat outside getting carts because you are a bagger for the next hour.

I can only summarize, we should not be machines for $8.50/hr handling $15K+ of money every day....it's just absurd.

Advice to Management

Persons in the customer service should not just be any person that wants the job when it's need. If there is a shortage wait for proper staff to fill the void; in the long run greater employee moral would be expected

Other Employee Reviews for Publix

"mostly good. Higher pay starting out then your average low skill job"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Alabaster, AL
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Alabaster, AL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, (BCBS of Florida) available after a year. Vision and dental after 90 days, even for part-timers. My hours average 30-35 a week as part-time. 1 stock given to you free every pay period but not vested until after 3 years (approx) of service. I have approx. $4300 worth after 4.5 years without having purchased any myself. Also, inventory bonuses every quarter after a year of service. Overall, best place I've worked for getting along with people. They promote mostly from within. Full-time is not usually given for awhile, but can be given in times of need to newbies who show they work hard. Managers make really good money with Publix, so if you really wanna do this the rest of your life, more power to ya! Most managers are good. They let us do our job and don't check up on us cause they know we will do what's needed. I like that.

Cons

Cashiers must be willing to bag also unless they are disabled. Bagging in the summer is absolutely awful as you must help the customer to their car unless they refuse service. It's hard and dirty work in departments like deli, where I am.

Advice to Management

Bonus checks should be given separately from regular paychecks. Sometimes they are and sometimes not. The times they have been rolled together, I lost my entire bonus to taxes and also lost my food stamps. That was a B##@@@!

2. "Publix is where working is a pleasure"

Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I absolutely love it. I enjoy going to work everyday.

Cons

Theres nothing wrong with the company. People who dislike working at Publix do not do their job correctly.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard