Publix - Great Company to work for was in 2001-2004 | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Publix

"Great Company to work for was in 2001-2004"

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk/Bookkeeper in Spartanburg, SC
Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk/Bookkeeper in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Publix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customer Service, Teamwork, Hours, Great Customers, Pay, It was a good company when I worked for them. Only left because I got a job offer as a manager was a recent college graduate.

Cons

I heard that this company has gotten like competitors like putting more responsibilies on the employees with less manpower. It takes to long to be promoted I was there 3 years and did an excellent job and they said they couldn't offer management. So, I left.

Advice to Management

I hope this company has not gotten like competitors if so the morale will go down really fast.

Other Employee Reviews for Publix

"A great place to work....if you're willing to wait your turn"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Publix part-time

Pros

Good starting pay for a grocery store ($2 above minimum wage). Flexible schedule. Very accommodating for time off when needed. Usually as many hours as you want to work (while staying under 40) as long as you play nice with your department manager.

Cons

Current department manager is simply there because they have stuck with the company and has no idea how to lead people. Entire store suffers from "wet your pants" syndrome when the regional manager comes in every 3-4 weeks. Completely contradictory rules are enacted when these visits occur. Performance reviews are worthless as far as coaching and mentoring associates towards positions of increased responsibility. They are simply kept low to justify minimum pay increases and keep associates in near dead end positions.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at your department managers and how they got their jobs. I appreciate and respect rewarding tenure with a company but being there a long time doesn't necessarily make someone fit to be a leader.

2. "Not what it seems"

Pros

They never lay people off. They are very open minded when it comes to hiring people. Tattoo friendly. they allow for flexible schedules.

Cons

People always say working for publix is great. And publix has managed to convince their customers that the employees are treated so well and are so happy with their company, however that is a facade. There is this false sense of family they like to perpetuate however gossip and backstabbing are in abundance at Publix. Too much favoritism. Pay is mediocre at best and raises go from 5 cents to 25 cents twice a year. Unbelievably hard to advance and to get full time. Very easy to get stuck in a position you don't like. Really difficult to get health benefits.

Also they unfortunately schedule part time employees with no benefits to work 9-10 hour days regularly.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking because you are management that you own people. Stop being so judgmental, talking smack about employees to other employees, writing people off. And give more people opportunities.