Publix - Great Company to work for was in 2001-2004 | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Publix

"Great Company to work for was in 2001-2004"

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk/Bookkeeper in Spartanburg, SC
Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk/Bookkeeper in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Publix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customer Service, Teamwork, Hours, Great Customers, Pay, It was a good company when I worked for them. Only left because I got a job offer as a manager was a recent college graduate.

Cons

I heard that this company has gotten like competitors like putting more responsibilies on the employees with less manpower. It takes to long to be promoted I was there 3 years and did an excellent job and they said they couldn't offer management. So, I left.

Advice to Management

I hope this company has not gotten like competitors if so the morale will go down really fast.

Other Employee Reviews for Publix

"A great place to work....if you're willing to wait your turn"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Publix part-time

Pros

Good starting pay for a grocery store ($2 above minimum wage). Flexible schedule. Very accommodating for time off when needed. Usually as many hours as you want to work (while staying under 40) as long as you play nice with your department manager.

Cons

Current department manager is simply there because they have stuck with the company and has no idea how to lead people. Entire store suffers from "wet your pants" syndrome when the regional manager comes in every 3-4 weeks. Completely contradictory rules are enacted when these visits occur. Performance reviews are worthless as far as coaching and mentoring associates towards positions of increased responsibility. They are simply kept low to justify minimum pay increases and keep associates in near dead end positions.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at your department managers and how they got their jobs. I appreciate and respect rewarding tenure with a company but being there a long time doesn't necessarily make someone fit to be a leader.

2. "Cynical employees make the workplace fun."

Former Employee - Front Customer Service Clerk
    Former Employee - Front Customer Service Clerk

I worked at Publix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The other employees are generally dark, humorous people that have equal dislike for customers and management. It's refreshing.

Cons

Management is typically highly inflexible when it comes to changing your schedule. There are several hoops you must jump through, and even then, that is no guarantee you will get the days off you request.